35 - Ghost Town

"Fischer?"

"Fischer?"

"C'mon buddy wakey wakey."

"Fischer?"

Fischer's eyes slowly rolled around in his head, his skull throbbing like he'd just been hit with a baseball bat. Without even moving he could feel his eyes burning like were being stabbed with a thousand tiny red hot needles. Slowly opening them, he managed to just make out the figure of Spatch in front of him, or at least the blurry brown and purple mess that he thought was Spatch.

"Ow. . . ow. . . w-what happened?" He croaked, rubbing his head gently. 

"You knocked yourself out cold there. Been asleep for a little while. How you feeling?"

His teeth clenched and his eyes squinted as he replied with another "Ow."

"Right, that makes sense. Hold up just a second."

"Where are you going?" Quin asked as he turned away and headed down to the kitchen.

"Just grabbing some water for him. Might help clear up all the fog."

"Be quick. I don't know what's down here and I don't want to stay long enough to find out. Get up kid, we need to move," Tonner grumbled as he loaded a fresh new cylinder into his revolver. His eyes peered out the window and quickly scanned the horizon, nothing but barren purple and crimson rock for miles. 

"Where. . . where are we, exactly?" He mumbled as his head slowly stopped spinning.

"That's what I'd like to find out." Tonner stated. 

"How is your head?" Ko's soft voice stole his attention and he turned to see her staring straight at him with worry plastered all over her face. 

"It's uh. . . well once everything stops spinning I'll let you know for sure," he jested.

"Alright well you seem to be all fine for now. C'mon, let's get you up," Quin said as she reach out a hand to him. Taking it, she pulled him up out of his chair and on to his feet. At first he stood up fine, but it didn't take long for him to lose balance and stumble around, falling right into Quin.

"Woah woah, easy there mate," she laughed as she held him steady.

"Sorry, still trying to figure out which way is up," he chuckled.

Spatch came back shortly after with a glass of water in hand and a small pill in the other.

"Here, take this. Should stop the dizziness. Sorry for the rough landing but we didn't have much of a choice."

He downed the water and pill before rubbing his eyes one more time, waving the now messy hair from his face before readying himself up.

"Alright, alright I'm good. So. What now?"

"Now? Well now we find out why we're here. Tonner got us as close as he could to the darkhouse. Just a matter of getting to it at this point," Spatch said.

"We all ready?" Tonner asked.

"Wait, is the air breathable here? Where even is here?" Fischer remarked, his eyes now looking through the windows at the apparent barren wasteland they now found themselves in.

"We're on an asteroid. A big one, as to exactly how big I don't know. And yea, the air is breathable, did a scan before touching down. We should be fine. Tonner, if you could do the honours?" Spatch asked, gesturing towards the door.

With a firm hand, Tonner punched the button for the door release and a loud hiss sounded as the ship's interior slowly pressurised to match the outside. A few seconds passed before a cloud of white steam hissed and the door slid open.