18 - Silent Stars

Ko sat in front of the Endeavour's window, a blank one thousand yard stare plastering her face as she stared out into space. The longer she gazed out into the blank void, the more it felt like there was something there that was staring back at her. Something she couldn't see, but she knew it was there. Watching her every move, waiting and planning. She felt like a moth fighting the urge to fly closer to the bug zapper. No matter how hard she tried, there was nothing she could do to fight it. 

Thoughts of her visions raced through her mind, tearing it apart. The voice she was constantly hearing, the 'lantern' that she was always being told to find. It all felt like she was stuck under the ocean, the full weight of the world pressing down on her constantly. She couldn't get up or scream, only lie down and pray. 

The thought of visiting this planet and finding answers was both refreshing and terrifying. She wanted nothing more than to have all this come to an end. To have a life again, to be able to smile. To be able to sleep at night. But at the same time, she had no idea what was waiting for them on that planet. Or if there even was anything on that planet. This could all be just a huge waste of time. Maybe Trikka was right and it all was just a big misunderstanding. 

The thought of these voices being nothing more than a figment of her imagination was scary. If that was the case, everything she had done was all for nothing. It was like chasing thunder. She was trying to fight something that wasn't even there. 

She looked down at her hands again, that odd feeling had returned. It felt weaker than before, but still present. Examining her trembling hand, she noticed nothing of importance. Everything was seemingly normal. It might just be a byproduct of the stress. After all, her mind wasn't exactly in the soundest of places right now. It was entirely possible she was imagining it. 

One of the sleeping dorm doors suddenly hissed open, breaking her train of though. Turning around, she saw Kori rubbing his eyes as he made his way across the Endeavour.

He blinked a few times before noticing Ko, "Oh, h-hey there Blue," he mumbled. 

"Hey. W-what are you doing up?" She asked with a rather monotone voice.

Kori let out a large yawn and stretched his arms out before turning and heading for the cockpit. 

"Just checking to make sure the auto pilot is behaving itself. Always a good idea to make sure when you're heading deep into space. The last thing we need is for the ship to be taking us on a wild goose chase. Speaking of which, wanna tell me why you're still up?" He asked as he shut the cockpit door gently behind him.

"I uh, just wanted some time to think."

"Heh, I bet. I don't wanna sound like I'm trying to smother you in pity but whatever it is you're going through, you're one hell of a trooper for sticking it out. I can't exactly imagine what it is that's going on but I know enough to realise it hasn't been easy for you."

Ko turned back around and slowly nodded her head, only really half listening to what Kori was saying. Her eyes returned to the darkness outside. 

Kori approached slowly with two hot drinks in hand, passing one to her. He sat down next to her on the couch and paused for a second.

"Thanks," she said, a small smile growing on her face. Kori gave her a playful wink.

"You want to chat about it? I know you're not much of a talker and I know I'm probably the last person here you would want to talk to, but even if I don't show it seeing you like this doesn't exactly fill me with joy," he consoled. 

Ko's eyes slowly shifted to the carcan. His big goofy grin had been replaced with a worried, yet still comforting smile. She let out a small huff and blinked slightly.