16 - So It Begins

"What?" Kori asked, shocked by what he was hearing.

"You heard her. NGC-1487." Quin stated.

"Yea. I know that's what she said. But what is that?" The carcan asked.

"It's a planet, out in deep space near the Rift. Question is, what about it?" Trikka piped in, standing by the kitchen bench with her arms crossed and a suspicious look on her face.

 Ko huddled herself in her cloak sheepishly, with a big frown on her face. She kept her head down, eyes avoiding her friend for fear of making things awkward. 

"Ko?" Trikka repeated.

The zapher looked up at her with fretful eyes. She racked her brains for something to say to her, but the only thing she could pull from her mind right now was nothing but fog and mist. 

"Apparently she kept hearing that word while she was out yesterday. And I don't know any other planet that has that set of numbers as its designated tag. I don't know what else those numbers could be referring to," Quin explained while waving a hand in Ko's direction.

"The current theory? Whatever it is that's talking to her wants us to go to that planet," Fischer stated.

Trikka let out a small huff as both she and Kori took in the information the others were telling them. It seemed this rabbit hole that was Ko was digging itself deeper and deeper by the day. 

"Well then. What could this. . . voice. . . possibly want with you out in the middle of nowhere anyway?" Trikka queried. 

"That's what we need to find out," Fischer said. 

A small frown drew itself across Trikka's face and her bio lights began to turn a shade of orange. Fischer could tell that frustration was slowly building up inside her. But as to why, that was still a mystery.

"Well how do you plan to figure it out?" She inquired.

"Isn't it obvious? By going there of course," Kori answered with a cheerful grin. 

"What?!" Trikka sputtered, taking a step back. "You can't be serious? No way are you going there!"

The other four gave each other concerned looks. 

"Uh. . . why not exactly?" Kori asked.

"Well. . . well because quite frankly I think that travelling halfway across the entire galaxy on what can only be described as a hunch is a pretty poor idea," Trikka remarked, her stripes now glowing red. 

Kori shot her a demeaning look. "You can't be serious right now Trikka? We finally have some leads on what is going on with Ko, we finally have a clue and better yet, a location, and your reasoning for not helping her is 'because it's a bad idea?'"

"Uh, yes!"

Quin rubbed her hand against her forehead and let out an exhausted sigh. "Will you two calm down for five seconds please? Now is not the time to be arguing. Look, I think we're all well aware that going to wherever this planet is, is a potential hazard. Alright? It could be dangerous. But it also means nightmares over here won't be tossing and turning every night because she's got some horrible voice trapped in her head. I think our best course of action is to pay this planet a visit."

"I second that," Fischer added, raising his hand.

"Agreed. We gain nothing by sitting here and arguing about it. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? All we're going to do is go there, have a look around, then come straight back here. Nothing more." Kori stated. 

The four of them stared at Trikka as she tried to process what she was hearing. This plan seemed like a total long shot. As much as she wanted to help Ko out, travelling to the other side of the Qalantic Galaxy was way above her pay grade.

"I just think you are all jumping onto this without thinking of the potential consequences something like this could carry. You know there's a reason why hospitals exist. I still don't know why we can't let a doctor to take a look at her."

Ko sheepishly looked up at her. "They'd just give me some drugs and tell me to rest. This is something much bigger than that. I know it is. Trikka, I know you don't to go. . . no-one is forcing you to. B-but I've finally got something that might help me. . . I don't expect you to understand, and that's a good thing. I don't want you or anyone here to have whatever this thing is inside your heads. And I wouldn't be asking any of you to come either. . . but you all seem to have made your minds up about that." 

Quin, Kori and Fischer all nodded their heads. 

"Please. . . I need to do this. . . I don't want to live like this anymore. . ."

Hearing those final few words, Fischer began to feel his heart sinking. She was hurting badly, and this was the only thing that might be able to help her. There was no way that they were going to let this opportunity go. Not if he had anything to say about it. 

 Kori shuffled over to his sister and gently grabbed her shoulders. "Trikka, I know this may sound dangerous. I know you might be worried. But this may be the only chance we get to help her. If doing this is what lets her finally get a good night's sleep, then I'm willing to take that risk."

The carcan finally let out a big sigh as she closed her eyes. Her stripes faded from red back to a dull blue and she looked her brother in the eyes. 

"Fine. Fine, go. If you think this is what's best for her. . . who am I to argue. Just. . . make sure you get back here soon alright?" She gave her brother a big hug before taking a few steps back. 

"Thank you Trikk. We'll be back before you know it," Kori smiled.

"You're not coming with us?" Fischer queried. 

Trikka raised up her left arm. "Can't, still got the cast. Besides, someone's gotta keep this place in check while you're all gone."

"You sure you'll be all right here alone?" Quin asked.

"I can take care of myself. It's you lot that I need to worry about. You better not be long ok?"

Kori gave a small nod. "Like I said. We'll be back before you know it."