28 - Smuggler's Den

The sound of Ko's light breathing was the only audible thing in the room. The lights were on the dimmest setting they had, casting a moody blue light through the living room. The carcans had gone to bed and there were no other noises, no rushing of wind nor chirping of crickets. Just the soft inhale and exhale of the young zapher who laid slumped over next to Fischer, her head resting comfortably on his shoulder. The couch they sat on lay facing the biggest window in the room, giving them a clear and uninterrupted view of the night sky above them.

Fischer held her hand in his own, taking in the moment. She was sound asleep, having drifted off around half an hour ago. The movie they were watching had long since finished. Now all there was to do was enjoy the view the skies had granted them. It was peaceful, calm.

If having her next to him caused his heart to shine like a star, holding her hand caused him to go supernova. Her soft scaly skin was almost like a silky leather. Her scales glimmered and twinkled, reflecting the deep blue light that covered them like a shroud. Looking closer, he noticed little pinpricks of purple. Slight shades of pink and blue woven between the dazzling sparkles. He couldn't describe what it was he was feeling. But he knew that he never wanted it to end.

She was like an angel holding him together. Keeping him afloat in an endless abyss of water. She was his life raft, flare and his ship. And it felt like there was no anchor in sight. Her chest raised and lowered slowly to the sound of her soft breath. Every time he heard her it filled him with a sense of comfort. Of safety. He no longer felt like he was alone. Instead he had a guardian angel, watching over him.

The stars seemed to shine just that little bit brighter when she was around.

He leaned his head on hers, stroking her palm gently with his thumb. A smile crawled its way across his pale face. One that was filled with an eternal love for her.

He let himself slowly drift away, his eyes closing and the sound of her breathing carrying him off to sleep.

Until suddenly that sound stopped.

He hardly noticed it at first. But when he could no longer feel her chest rising his alarms went off. Looking down at her, nothing seemed to have changed. She was still sitting on the couch snuggled up to him.

Then a horrible noise came from her mouth. One that was unmistakable. Her breathing had stopped, replaced by a wretched choking sound. Immediately Fischer sat upright and grasped her shoulders.

"Ko? Ko can you hear me?" he asked with urgency. His question was only followed by more sounds of her suffocating from a lack of air.

"Ko! You gotta wake up! C'mon!" His own frantic breathing contrasted her lack of any and panic began to settle in. He held his hands up to her cheeks in an attempt to wake her from her sleep, but it only served to worry him even more.

"Quin! Quin get down here! Trikka? Spatch! Ko's in trouble!" He bellowed at the top of his lungs. But no response came. The air was just as silent as it had been twenty seconds ago. Ko had stopped choking as well.

Fischer placed his head down near her chest, ear pressed to her body.

Nothing.

He placed two fingers on her neck.

Nothing.

She began to slump over, falling forwards and off the couch. She hit the ground with a hard thump. And everything suddenly vanished.

--\/--