This means war

3rd person POV:

One year, and eight months ago, the Instrumentality Project was activated. Lilith became large and took the look of a naked Rei Ayanami.

All seemed lost, but one person still stood against it.

Shinji Ikari in his Unit 01 Evangelion.

Though he was supposed to be the key to the project, he became its executioner after tapping into the power of the N² engine his Eva previously stole from an angel and using the spear of Longinus.

Not only did Shinji pull out Rei Ayanami from Lilith, but he also killed the Angel and pinned her smiling corpse onto the moon, where to this day it stays, slowly decaying as its smiling face stares down at the earth as a haunting reminder of what could have been.

When the dust settled, Ritsuko Akagi, and Gendo Ikari, amongst others, had gone missing.

Misato Katsuragi became the new head of NERV and rebranded the organization as NERV Japan to separate itself from the wicked deeds of what the organization did.

The project to find suitable Eva pilots was shut down, leaving Rei, Shinji, and Asuka as the only Eva pilots who were to be stand-by until the world could finally confirm that there would be no more angel-level threats.

From there, things proceed peacefully.....

But the next battle was on the horizon.

Gazing out towards the setting sun, Shinji Ikari, who stood on a large boulder in the shallow end of a lake, watched as the red light from the sun was being reflected by the lake that was being slightly blown by the wind.

(Savior of Humanity: Shinji Ikari)

The light reflecting off the water made the lake look like it had many shining stars in it

Shinji:.....

This was a tradition Shinji had adopted after he saved the world.

Whenever he could, he would watch the sunset as the moon became visible.

When the sun was gone, Shinji had a clear view of Lilith who he pinned to the moon. Her smile simultaneously set a shiver down his spine while also reassuring him.

"Is her smile a loving one or one of mockery at humanity which was saved from becoming one with her?" The voice of Kaworu, the reincarnation of Adam, asked.

Shinji: I've only seen her smile... So I don't know if she can show any other expression...

Shinji: My question is... Why...? No matter where I go... Why do her eyes always look like they're staring at me?

"Perhaps it's because you're staring at her?"

Shinji:... I only stare because... it's one of the only ways to feel my heart.