Chapter 29

AN: Last week was a week filled with problems. I've been stressed so sorry if I haven't updated just like what I have promised. I'm still feeling stressed today. But hopefully, I would manage.

___________________

Chapter 29: Contractor and Seeds

       Evie never expected to land into a twilight zone and get a job. When she graduated, she expected to have a normal job and spend the rest of her days in boredom, get a boyfriend, get married, have kids, and die in an accident or illness. It was out of her expectations that she would end up as an employee of Marshall Carter and Dark. A smiling receptionist welcomes those rich and special guest that enters the auction and become aware of the unusual side of their world.

But despite the surprise, she found out that she was satisfied with her job. It was mind-boggling but the higher-ups have paid her well. Evie's job description is simple despite its unusualness. It was more normal than those other employees of Marshall Carter and Dark. And it has a lower risk of dying than the others around.

Just like the other receptionist in the lobby of the building, she would welcome the guests with a smile on her face, watch them, answer some inquiries and bid them goodbye. And maybe, sometimes, gossip with the other employees or her fellow receptionist.

Evie was a receptionist on the location of the special club of Marshall Carter and Dark. It was also in the same location on one of the Auctions by the MC&D in London. Evie was used to welcoming their rich and prominent guest that was invited to the Auction and the Club. What Evie wasn't used was watching one of the recent people enter this location and looking out of place.

It just happened one day when that man entered and walk into the lobby. He was dressed in a regular businessman suit. He wore a glass on his eyes and was always seen holding a very suspicious briefcase. Despite looking well presented and like a gentleman, Evie could tell that all of this person screams cheapness. His attire doesn't speak luxury and finesse. Evie could tell that they are just very cheap goodies that could be bought in low-end stores.

He doesn't also the disposition of someone rich. He didn't look graceful, noble, or hold any of the disposition that she had seen on their guests.

From what she has gathered from the other employees like her, he has attended the auction for few times but didn't even offer a price once. He was a very suspicious person. But Evie wondered why did they even let him attend. How did he even get here in the first place?

Why do the higher-ups don't seem concerned about this person? They let him attend and just remain in this place. Aren't they afraid that he was one of those 'foundation' people that she heard from the rumors?

One week after watching and being concerned about the suspicious man, Evie heard from one of her fellow employees that the new auction would offer more items than usual.

Their branch of MC&D has managed to procure interesting items from a very mysterious and new contractor.

The very suspicious man is also gone. Evie was an idiot if she didn't manage to connect that the events are related to the mysterious man. When she relayed her suspicions to her fellow receptionist, Mandy who was more experienced and older than her in this job, she only sent her an amused expression.

" We are dealing with an unnatural business, you can't expect our customers or contractors to belong on the norms. They have their uniqueness and eccentricity. Expect that nothing of this job is normal so that you wouldn't be frustrated or caught off guard. "

It was frustrating how she was right. She guesses that her job is weirder than she expected.

---------------------