Chapter 5: Class Ideologies

Horikita's POV

It has been just over three weeks since the start of school, as usual, the classroom was full of idiots not paying attention to the lesson that was being taught. Only a few paid attention from the forty. Since the start Hirata-kun and Kushida-san had established themselves as key figures within the class, I saw no reason to become someone important in the eyes of such imbeciles, my neighbour, Tatsuya-kun was no better either as he continued to fiddle with his phone during the lesson. I thought deeper into how this school boasts an unfathomable 100% employment and college entry rate, making it very famous and very desirable for numerous students across the country. Many students enrolled for this exact benefit, I, on the other hand, was chasing something bigger. I was chasing the shadow of my brother, he was an exceptional student and even became the student council president.

However, if you were to observe one lesson here you could instantly tell that there was something suspicious. No matter how much I thought about it, it was futile. I just couldn't see how this style of teaching would result in a 100% success rate.

I continued to ponder this topic whilst also taking notes about the class. The bell rang and all the students rushed out, like immature children. Many of the idiots had most likely already spent their points for this month. As this thought came to mind I remembered the free options I had seen with the apathetic boy I had met in the convenience store. He was also irritating as he continued to make meaningless conversations with me about the free section and the points provided by the school. Thankfully I hadn't run into him since.

Ayanokōji's POV

Lunch had begun and I remained seated within the class and pulled out a bento from my bag, which I had prepared earlier, For most of the lunch periods Yuzuriha-sensei also stayed inside the class and we had our lunches together.

"Kiyotaka-kun, you're always eating lunch here. You aren't struggling to make friends, right?" She asked in a slightly worried tone.

"I have become friends with two class D students, there's no need to worry about it." I decided it would be best to not mention they were both girls since I knew sensei's childish demeanour. 

It seemed as she was satisfied with this answer as she chose to join the topic onto the class topics and roughly went over them again. Whilst I was eating I decided to review what I had learnt about the other four classes.

Class D was the class I knew the most about since it was a regular topic of discussion between me, Matsushita and Satō. Based on what they had said about how the class conducted themselves it was blatantly obvious that they would stay at the very bottom of the rankings, this was something I had no doubts about. I decided to help my new friends by recommending that they do not spend too much money, providing flimsy reasoning explaining that it would mess with their sense of money. The class however did seem to have identified a leader or two leaders amongst themselves. One I had already met being Kikyō Kushida and the other being a boy called Yōsuke Hirata, after being told about the rankings I decided to look back on them to scout the popular figures in other classes and Hirata was in the top 5 and whenever he was mentioned in the conversation between the three of us only positive comments followed. This was a similar case for Kushida, however, I was still wary of her since the odd smile back at the clothing shop had intrigued me. There could be a rising third key figure within the class with a big rumour being that a student that I had previously met named Kei Karuizawa was dating Yōsuke Hirata, her abilities are completely unknown to me, however, I do not expect too much.

Even though I do consider Matsushita and Satō friends I did not interact with them very much this helped in staying a secret, well until May 1st which would soon be upon me.