PROLOGUE

Summer had always been the time for zeal and activity. The flowers bloomed, the sun danced, trees blossomed and children played. The more spirited the world outside was, the duller the Malfoy Manor was. The residents of the manor were accustomed to the shrieking of the prisoners who were jailed and tortured in the dungeons; the omnipresent fear that was present as cold as ice; and the slithering of the great snake that victimized everyone for its lunch. However, this daily charade still unsettled the residents of the manor- Narcissa Malfoy, Draco Malfoy, and Stella Malfoy.

There used to be another person living in this huge mansion, but due to the path Lucius Malfoy had chosen, he was in the wizard prison of Azkaban. He was a loyal follower of Lord Voldemort, the darkest wizard the wizarding world had seen to date. It was under his order and threat that the Malfoy Manor was being used as the headquarters for his Death Eater meetings and as a prison for his victims.

This was the reason why Stella Malfoy was leaving her 'home' and taking a vacation to France. To the Dark Lord, the Death Eaters, and her family, she was going there to meet her old peers and observe the ones who were interested in the Dark Lord's mission of eradicating the Muggle-borns in society. But to herself, Albus Dumbledore, and Severus Snape, she was taking a well-needed vacation with her uncle, Sirius Black.

Not only was she taking a break from the dejected state of her household, but also from the duties placed upon her shoulders. The burden of being a spy, hiding her true personality, and slowly going down the lane of depression.

Narcissa Malfoy, who didn't know the actual reason regarding her daughter's departure was in tears for her soul. She had already lost her husband to the Dark Arts and the Dark Lord, she didn't want her only daughter to be drowned by the obsession with power as well. She never had an easy life- since her birth she had been told to be perfect at every step. But she had finally found happiness when she had married Lucius. Even though he still expected the same perfect charade, she loved him. But her love was now clouded by bitterness. He was the reason why their daughter had become the youngest Death Eater and their son might follow soon as well.

Even though she was a Slytherin, a Black and a Malfoy, she respected Dumbledore- he was knowledgeable and wise. And the only option she had now to bring back her daughter to the lighter side was to follow his advice- believe in love. Considering this as the last resort, she cleverly devised a plan for Stella.

"Stella, dear, I just wanted to inform you that Draco too will be traveling with you to France," Narcissa informed her daughter one day while they were having lunch. Upon hearing this piece of information, both Draco and Stella coughed on the soup they were drinking.

Stella was surprised and shocked as she didn't want her brother to be there. They both had been civil when they had come home for the sake of their mother, who saw them as her last reason to live on Earth. They weren't on the best terms, but they were cordial. The fact that he was going to be on the trip with her sent shock waves across her body. She wanted to be herself in those two weeks- she didn't want to pretend yet again in front of Draco.

Draco, meanwhile, was happy about her mother's decision. He was depressed by the state of his home and wanted to run away from there. He also believed that he could better his relationship with her sister during the trip.

"No," she replied shortly and firmly, leaving no ground for any discussion. Draco's happy bubble burst in a second and her mother deflated. But Narcissa Malfoy was not a Slytherin just for namesake, she was sly and cunning and she had planned this whole scene out. She had purposely asked the question when she knew the Dark Lord was lingering in the doorway.

As she expected, his cold voice cut out, "And what may be the reason for the things you both said?"

Blood drained from Stella's body as she quickly thought of a valid reason.