CHAPTER 9: Gryffindor is my home, Slytherin is the person I could be

(SIRIUS P.O.V)

It had been almost two decades since my original sorting, yet I could still feel the same jittery vibes and butterflies in my stomach for my 'resorting'. I was outside the Great Hall, waiting to be sorted again. I was supposed to join the first years in the boats. But that would have been so boring.

I am Sirius Black! There needs to be gasps and shocks when people first see me!

Dumbledore had fervently agreed. I suspected that he wanted to get back in my good books and also shift the attention from his burnt hand as much as possible. He was killing two birds with one stone. I scoffed at his sneaky and Slytherin-like action.

Over the past weeks, my entire thought process had been reforming. When I was a child, I hated my parents and I did everything to annoy them. While they adored the Dark Arts, I decided to follow the leader of the Light. When they supported familism, I leaned towards my friends. I don't regret it. Not at all. I suffered a lot but I found another life altogether- with my Marauders.

That life taught me about friendship through thick and thin. But this new life has given me a chance to mean something to the family. I felt guilty for not being there for my brother Regulus; I could have saved him from the clutches of the Dark Lord. And keeping that in mind, I promised that I would not let any of my loved ones suffer again, be it, family or friends. It was ironic that the family of Blacks I despised was my reason for being alive. I had grown fond of them, especially the Malfoys. Draco reminded me so much of Regulus- I would protect him over everything. And Stella- the self-sacrificing individual, I saw myself in her! The twins reminded me of Reg and I, except that Stella decided to save his brother while I failed to do so.

This time, however, I was not failing. I knew my responsibilities had tripled. A few months ago, I only cared about my duties as a Godfather, but now, I was an uncle too. And I was going to guide all three of them. I would show them their rights and their wrongs. But I can't do that as a 40-year-old man, I have to be their friend, a 16-year old friend.

As I contemplated these thoughts, I finally heard Dumbledore say the words, "And now, we have another transfer student this year."

At this, I could hear some faint whisperings in the hall.

"I would like you all to know the story of this student before he gets sorted. He is not someone to be ogled and questioned," Dumbledore said firmly. I couldn't see their expressions but I could definitely guess their reactions- confusion and interest. After all who was this student? I smirked at the thought.

"He is the son of a man who recently passed away. His father had been falsely imprisoned for his association with the Dark Lord. For his safety, his mother had taken him away from Britain. Two months ago, the man was proven not guilty. New evidence brought to light clarified that he was framed. I am sure everyone is aware of the man now. He was Sirius Black. And please welcome his son, Sirius Black Jr," he announced as the doors opened and I stepped in.

I heard the gasp of every student in the Hall. They were shocked, looking at Dumbledore and me, as though expecting Peeves to suddenly appear and announce that it was a joke. I walked down the passageway and saw some students standing on their toes to get a better look at me. I saw a few staring dreamily at me. I smirked and sent a few good-looking winks. Looking at their faces, I knew I hadn't lost my touch- after all I was always a charmer. I roamed my eyes around the Hall. Stella was favouring a poker face, but her eyes held amusement. Besides her, Draco was sprouting a smirk that looked malicious, but I knew him enough to know it meant the opposite. His eyes held adoration, love, and a pleading tone to forgive me. Huh? What is he pleading for?