HUMANITY FIRST

"We have a special guest coming onboard," Captain Yager announced to the crew when he walked onto the bridge.

"Who might that be?" asked his first officer Commander Steiner.

"Dr. Lawrence Pataki."

"Dr. Pataki?"

John nodded. "Yep. I just talked with Admiral Renjay in my office, and we're to escort him to a science conference on Beta Prime where he's scheduled to give a lecture on robotics."

"I thought Dr. Pataki was supposed to be some sort of recluse?"

"Well, as I understand it, he has been living in virtual seclusion in his home in Old New York for the past several years after he left the Alliance Technology Institute. He's been asked at various times to give lectures, but he's turned them all down."

"I wonder what made him change his mind about giving this lecture?"

"Don't know," John replied, shaking his head. "Maybe you can ask him when he comes onboard."

"Isn't Dr. Pataki considered the father of modern robotics?" asked John's tactical officer Tamala.

John nodded. "Yes, he is, Tamala."

"So does that mean he created Roger?" asked ship's pilot Zack Renjay.

"Yeah, he created Roger and all the other androids who are now serving onboard Alliance ships."

"I wonder what made him go into seclusion?" asked Lisa.

"The way I hear it, he got upset when the military took over his research and began equipping androids with emotion processors so they can be more human."

"Why would he get upset over that?"

"Again, the way I understand it, Dr. Pataki didn't want his androids to have any human emotion."

"Why?"

"Apparently Dr. Pataki doesn't much care for people and has publicly stated he prefers the company of androids."

"Really?"

"Yep," John said, nodding. "From what others have said about the man, he's kind of a curmudgeon who doesn't like to be bothered by others."

"Okay. So why are we taking him to this conference instead of some other ship?"

"From what Admiral Renjay told me, he actually requested to be escorted by The Reliant."

"Oh really?" 

John nodded. "Yes."

"Did the Admiral say why he requested us?"

"No, but, if I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it has something to do with Roger."

"What makes you say that, Captain?"

"Well, Roger is one of the few androids serving aboard an Alliance vessel who's not equipped with an emotion processor."

"Yeah, you're right." Lisa then gazed over at ship's android Roger who had been sitting at his post listening intently to the conversation. "What do you have to say about all of this, Roger?"

"What would you have me say about this, Commander?"

"Well, he is your creator." Lisa shrugged. "Some might even say he's your father, at least technically so."

"My father?" 

"Uh-hmmm," Lisa murmured, nodding.

"I never really thought about it that way, Commander."