Chapter 6

Maybe She's a Detective After All...

When Athena regained her consciousness, she found herself tucked securely in her bed, a cool towel resting gently on her forehead. She sighed and muttered under her breath about how useless sleep was before removing the cloth and rising slowly from the bed.

Upon hearing the noise of her awakening, John bustled quickly into her room. "Oh no you don't," he frowned. "You're going to rest."

"But John-"

"No buts, Athena. You passed out!"

She huffed indignantly. He was overreacting- she got a little nauseated, which was hardly a big deal at all."I'm fine now. Besides, I wasted however long while sleeping. I have to get going."

John ran a hand over his face exasperatedly. "Sleeping isn't a waste, Athena."

She bit her tongue and pushed past the man, heading straight for the door. She- at the very least- needed to go on a walk. She'd get antsy all cooped up in her room (which might lead to her climbing out the window, as the two men discovered once).

"Athena," a baritone voice said from behind her, "where are you going?"

She didn't even flinch, merely continued walking toward the door and grabbing her coat. "On a walk."

Sherlock nodded and continued looking through his microscope. He knew very well about her hatred for being in one place too long and respected it. Mostly, he didn't seem to care, but Athena could easily brush off the hurt she felt when she thought about it too much.

"There's some money on the coffee table," Sherlock said. "Get some milk, please. And you can go shopping for the rest of the day. If you feel lightheaded, get some water, okay?"

She grinned at him. "Okay. Thanks, Sherlock!"

She left without a second thought,, though she couldn't help but notice the stern glare John have Sherlock when she pulled on her coat.

Back at 221B

Sherlock looked up at John and frowned. "What is it?"

"She passed out!" John exclaimed. "From a crime scene you took her to! Do you even care?"

The detective shrugged in indifference, already peering through his microscope. John took a deep, steadying breath and took the microscope out of Sherlock's grasp.

"She saw a corpse then passed out. Do you even care?!"

Sherlock rid his face from all emotion and said, "Caring is not an advantage."

John broke his nose.

Meanwhile, Athena was having the time of her life walking through Chinatown- eyes burning with curiosity and wonder.

She absolutely adored being in crowded areas; she could read people as much as she wanted and she got to see new things. There was no downside to being on busy streets.

Glancing around at all the people, she took in what she could.

Affair. A man wearing a nice suit walked by her, and she caught a hint of some cheap Bath & Body Works perfume from the US. Not available in the UK. His wedding ring wasn't present but the tan line was.

Affair. A lady in a red dress had smudged lipstick at the corner of her mouth and was briskly wiping it off as she strutted over to a man in a button down shirt.