Chapter 24

Bonding with the Family, and Revelations

The next morning, Sherlock went into Athena's room to wake her and found her pillow soaked and her face covered in dry tears. He was supposed to be teaching her more about crime (it was his version of homeschooling, and Mycroft approved of it), but seeing this broke his heart. Why was she so upset? Never minding that, he shook her awake gently until her eyes fluttered open and saw him standing there above her.

He put on a small smile. "Get up, Athena. We're going to the mall- I have a case there." It wasn't a total lie, he was offered a stake out save there. A serial killer was there, stabbing women when they went into dressing rooms. At first, Sherlock found it a bit mundane, but since Athena liked the mall for whatever reason, he'd take it.

She furrowed her eyebrows and sat up dizzily. With a yawn, she said, "What about school?"

"I'm homeschooling you. And that can wait."

Athena smiled sleepily. "So I don't have to go to those boring school interviews?"

"Of course not. Now get ready, we have the whole day ahead of us."

The young girl nodded, still hazy with sleep, and stood slowly as Sherlock left to let her get ready for the day. She pulled on a pair of high-waisted shorts and a blouse then covered her shoulders with a big cardigan, and slipped on a pair of ankle boots.

After finishing the rest of her routine, she met Sherlock in the sitting room, who was arguing with John. Again.

"I just don't see this as a good idea," John said, frowning.

"She'll be fine, John. She's had a bit of a bad time recently- I just want to cheer her up," Sherlock responded.

John stared at Sherlock for a moment before sighing in defeat. "But if anything happens to her, you're not taking her on anymore cases."

She watched as Sherlock rolled his eyes a bit.

"I'm serious, Sherlock." John cleared his throat. "Since I don't have to be at work long, I'll meet you there in an hour."

Sherlock smiled a bit to himself. "Alright."

That's when Athena decided to hop in. "Hate to break up the love fest, but murderers don't rest and the cabbie's outside."

The two stammered awkwardly before Sherlock grabbed her arm lightly and led her out the door. Once they were in the cabbie, Sherlock began to speak, "They said he's a tall male, brown hair, tan skin, scar by his eye. But then again, we'd more efficiently find him if you went into some dressing rooms."

Athena rolled her eyes. "John and Uncle Mycroft'll love that."

He chuckled. "I'm sure. You'll have mace on you, though. As soon as he comes in, spray him."

She grinned. "I do like field work."

Together, Athena and Sherlock stepped into the large outlet mall and headed to the food court, where the most people were walking around. "Now, his most frequent attacks are at a...um...in-"

"Victoria's Secret?" she laughed.

"Well, yes,"

Athena laughed for a second before heading over toward the store, Sherlock in tow. "There's a section for perfume and lotion and such, just say you're browsing for me," she instructed, a small grin on her face.

Once they reached the store, she immediately forced him over to the perfume section and went straight for the bras, picking up a couple she thought were cute. She could feel someone's eyes on her as she did so, but she ignored that. If they were going to catch the killer, then she needed to act very unsuspicious. So, she slipped quietly into a dressing room and slipped off her shirt.