Chapter 3

"Off we go, then."

- - -

Alfred managed to get Billy into the car without much fuss, the boy looking around the old vehicle in awe. 

The raven directed him where to go, driving down various streets before he ended up in front of a building that very clearly had a large yellow 'CONDEMNED' sign nailed to the front door, but Billy disregarded it as he climbed out of the car and ran up to the building happily.

He sat back in his seat, waiting there for the boy as he asked. The old man's phone buzzed, getting his attention as he pulled it out to glance at the message he'd been sent.

'Morning- Boys were worried about you last night. Haven't told them anything, was hoping you had an idea on how to break the news.'

The old man smiled at his employer's text. He sent back a quick reply telling the man it could be a surprise, and just to make sure that everyone was in the manor and out of costume by the time they got there before glancing towards the decaying building.

He was starting to get worried about the boy, but resisted the urge to get up and march in after him. If this relationship of theirs started out without trust, it would go nowhere. 

So he sat back in the seat, checking his watch before looking at the building again.

Soon enough, Billy came back through the door, a sun-bleached green backpack slung over his shoulder and an old faded tiger plush with matter fur slung over his arm. 

Alfred got up and out of the vehicle, opening the trunk and taking BIlly's backpack from him. He thought better of asking the child for the plush since once his backpack was gone both arms were dedicated to clutching the animal as tightly as he could.

"Alright then, if that's everything, we can make our way to Gotham."

Billy nodded before climbing into the passenger side.

Alfred climbed into the driver's seat, buckled up, and turned off the old road and towards the city of darkness.

- - -

When Alfred had offered to let Billy grab his things from wherever he'd been staying, the boy had been pleasantly surprised. Sure, a few things he'd have to leave there, and others he would have to stash so that he could come back as Captain Marvel later and properly put them into some sort of pocket dimension, but he could still grab the essentials that he would need.

He glanced around the barren and decrepit apartment he had chosen to call home for the past couple of weeks, scratching at his chin as he glanced towards the items on his bed-- a stained mattress on the floor.

The ten-year-old started putting his things into his backpack; an enchanted mirror John Constantine had given him a long time ago so that they could keep in contact and he could help Billy with his magic lessons, a couple of shirts, another pair of pants on the verge of falling apart, his Justice League communicator (which he slipped into a seam tear just in case), and a bus token-- one that had changed his life over two years ago.

He put all of these things into his old backpack, one with a tiger patch on the front pocket, before shouldering it and grabbing his plush tiger, Tawky Tawny, off the bed and giving him a squeeze.