Chapter 17

How had he forgotten this feeling?

- - -

That night, Billy found himself in the middle of the street. Lamposts lit the sidewalks around him, but he couldn't see anything beyond their dim lights. The asphalt below him was cracked and had grass poking through the edges, as if the street hadn't been used in 30 years.

The 10-year-old furrowed his brow at the sound of screeching tires, eyes widening at the sight of the Batmobile screeching into the dim light. 

Wait, this was Fawcett, what was Batman doing here? The dark Knight himself opened the driver's door and stepped out, the whites of his cowl narrowed at Billy.

His body was slightly hidden by the thick armor of the car door, but the distaste wafted off the man in waves, crashing into Billy and making him flinch.

"Bat-Batman?" he said, his voice echoing through the empty streets.

The Dark Knight said nothing, continuing to stare at him from beside the armored car. "Batman, what are you doing in Fawcett?" he asked in confusion. The man lifted his arm to reveal a pistol gripped in his hand, the lamposts making the object glint and glimmer.

The 10-year-old swallowed thickly. "W-what are you doing with that? You- I thought you were against guns..." Billy said nervously, taking a step back. He found himself bumping into another body, glancing back to find Nightwing standing behind him. He tensed, eyes widening further when the man in black and blue grabbed his arms and held him still.

"Nightwing what's- what's going on?!" he asked, tears welling in his eyes from fear. The younger man simply looked down at him with disgust. Batman came closer, the pistol now aimed directly at Billy. 

His heart was pounding in his ears, and every fiber of his being was telling him to get out of this situation while he still could.

He did the first thing he could think of. He opened his mouth to yell the Wizard's name--

--Only to have Nightwing shove a rag into it and muzzle him.

Billy looked up at the pair- what was happening!? Why were they doing this to him?! They were supposed to be teammates! Friends!

"You lied, Billy," Batman said, disdain dripping from his voice as he came closer. The cold barrel of the gun was aimed right between Billy's eyes, pressing against his skin. The 10-year-old couldn't hold back the tears in his eyes anymore as they started to stream down his face- Nightwing laughed.

"To think I was actually friends with this," he said with a roll of his eyes. "Pretty disturbing that Captain Marvel's just some dumb street kid, huh."

"It's pathetic," Batman replied, gun still pressed against Billy's forehead.

"Wh-what- how do you know?" Billy asked, his small frame trembling in Nightwing's grip.

"That's easy, you little brat," another voice said, causing the trio to glance towards its source-- Jason. He had hiss helmet gripped tightly in one hand and a gun in the other, a wicked smirk on his face as he walked towards them from the shadows. "I told them."

"But I- I never told you-" Billy whimpered, feeling very, very small in front of the people who were supposed to be his friends. He used his shoulder to wipe at his tears and Jason rolled his eyes.