Chapter 13

Billy's smile widened slightly before he set to work climbing his way up towards the roof. He was going to have to trust that Damien wouldn't follow him-- and hopefully, he wouldn't get in too much trouble for being late.

- - -

"Alright fine, maybe your theory has grounds to stand on..." Dick muttered, his expression sour as he followed Bruce down to the cave. "He didn't look like he was in any pain when I squeezed him, but with his stitches, it should've hurt."

Bruce nodded once, his eyes trained on the large computer at the end of the room as he walked. "I noticed that. He probably healed himself but didn't take out the stitches in case we checked," he said, sitting down in the large chair.

"It's just weird to think of Billy, a street kid with way too big of a heart, as a magic-user. I mean- more than half of the magic-users we meet are either evil or morally gray, so I just- I worry for him..." Dick said, rubbing the back of his neck.

"You worry for everyone," Bruce commented in reply.

Dick gave him a look before letting out a sigh. "Billy's different. I don't know what it is about him, but I've never met anyone even remotely similar. He's not jaded like Jason was when he pulled him off the streets, and he's not cynical like Damien. The kid's an orphan but you'd never be able to tell. I mean, I use humor to cope and Tim buries himself in work, but Billy..." her trailed off, shaking his head with a small smile.

"It's almost like that kid is just determined to be some kind of ray of sunshine so that no one can feel bad for him. Like he doesn't want people to see the bad parts of his life, only the good."

Bruce glanced at him.

"It's kind of inspiring in a way. I mean, he's probably got barely any memories of his folks but he doesn't show it. He's probably in a lot of pain half the time but you'd never know."

"He's stronger than we'd expected," Bruce finished for him, turning his attention back towards the screen. "Maybe that's the reason Alfred picked him up. He's strong like all of you, just in a different way. Maybe he thought that if he didn't intercede, that strength wouldn't last for much longer."

Dick nodded slowly, letting out a breath and carding his fingers through his hair. "So was that call really from Wayne Corp or was it for the League?" he asked, leaning against the console.

"The league. Captain Marvel hasn't shown up for monitor duty," Bruce replied, typing something into the computer. "He's never late. Flash called me asking if I knew anything about it," he continued before standing. He walked over to a chamber and stepped inside, the door closing as Dick glanced towards the screen.

"That's unlike him- big guy's usually early to everything," he commented, glancing back towards the chamber Bruce had stepped into. The door opened and he came out in uniform, tugging on one of his gauntlets before glancing at his eldest.

"I know."

"So you goin' up there to check everything out?" Dick asked, raising a brow and plopping down in the big chair himself. Batman nodded once, moving towards the teleporter.

"Yes. If Billy asks, I'm at Wayne Corp."

"I think I'll tell him you're on the moon."

Bruce gave him an unimpressed look before stepping into the teleporter and vanishing.