Chapter 26

- - -

Hopefully, that would be enough time for Billy to do whatever it was that he needed to do. Cyborg hoped it would be.

- - -

When Captain Marvel's golden boots touched down at the main gates of Belle Reve, he was immediately greeted by a pair of security guards with large metallic guns in their hands. He gave them a smile, only to get a curt nod in return. 

"You'll have to excuse them, Captain-" a voice said, causing the demigod to glance up towards the entrance and at a dark-haired man in a deep blue uniform currently walking towards him.

"They're on edge because of the breach," the man said, holding out his hand for the raven to shake. "The name's Aman. A pleasure to meet you," he said, shaking Cap's hand before motioning for him to follow him into the penitentiary. "Though I am surprised the League sent you- our guys had come up with something magical in nature, so we were expecting someone like Zatanna or Dr. Fate."

"Oh uh, heh, right- well I'm pretty well-versed in magic myself- it's just not something I tend to advertise," he said as the pair passed through a metal detector, the Captain leaving out the part about the League not exactly sending him here at all, followed by the pair of armed guards.

"You don't have to explain anything to me, Captain, don't worry. I'm a fan- I meant it when I said it was a pleasure to meet you," Aman continued, making the larger man rub the back of his neck with a blush. 

"The escape happened in cell 64A," he explained as they stepped into an elevator, the metallic doors sliding shut behind them.

"Who was in the cell?" Cap asked, Solomon already getting to work as the cogs in his mind began to turn.

The elevator doors opened and Aman led the Captain out, taking a manilla folder from another guard and opening it. "Morgaine Le Fay. She was a new arrival and we were just barely containing her power if I'm honest," he said, handing the file to Marvel. He scanned the information, continuing to follow Aman towards the cell.

He hadn't had a run-in with the villainess himself, but Marvel knew the League had encountered her before he'd joined them and that she was chaotic and destructive- lusting after eternal youth and immortality and not allowing anyone to get in her way. 

A talented magician for sure, so it wasn't a surprise they had trouble keeping her there.

"Could she have managed to break herself out?" he asked as they turned a corner, closing the file and passing it off to a guard. Aman shook his head, though his motions were hesitant.

"She had an inhibitor collar on- it should have stopped any magic she could have conducted. We worked personally with Dr. Fate to ensure this, but..." Aman trailed off as they came closer to the cell. "There's always a chance," he said, looking at the cell in question.

Captain Marvel took the lead, passing by a couple of guards and scientists and walking into the cell itself- concrete walls, metal bars, a cot in the corner. It was a basic cell for a prison-like Belle Reve, but if a prisoner had an inhibitor collar on, this is the kind of cell that would be deemed necessary.

A foul, residual energy permeated the air around him, thick and rolling over the demigod in waves. It was old magic, the kind of old that only beings like the Wizard and the Gods gave off. Morgaine Le Fay may be the same Morgaine of Arthurian legend, but even she wouldn't have this kind of power- not without help.

"That rules out the solo escape..." he mumbled to himself, only to get a look from Aman. "Sorry," he said, giving the man a small grin. "The magical energy in this cell is too old, too- too arcane to be Morgaine's. She had to have had help in escaping."