Chapter 22

"I'm Batman."

- - -

Billy blinked. 

He didn't hear that right, did he? 

No, no that wasn't possible. 

Someone was playing a cruel prank on him, messing with his hearing like that. 

The 10-year-old wasn't sure of much in his life- he knew that the sky was blue, he knew there was good deep down in everyone, he knew that Bruce Wayne, his new foster father, was NOT Batman. 

There- there were too many differences, right? 

This had to be some kind of joke.

This couldn't be possible.

Bruce was staring at him- assessing him. His gaze was calculating- almost like-

No. No- Bruce wasn't Batman. He couldn't be. He- He had a company to run, important business things to do.

But... he did have a direct line with the League somehow. Bruce also had ties to Batman- the Dark Knight had been inside the manor. Batman had singled Billy out and come to rescue him on more than one occasion. 

He'd seen the worry flash in Batman's eyes the night he'd come to save him from Harley. 

He'd seen Bruce's willingness to put himself in danger when the mall was being attacked. 

He'd seen the man trying to cover up injuries on his arms when he'd come into his bedroom before.

But Bruce- he- he was so different from Batman. Batman was cold, analytical, to the point. He knew what he wanted, he knew how to get it- He was the World's Greatest Detective and didn't trust Captain Marvel as far as he could throw him. 

Bruce was kind, even if he was distant, and he'd never seen Batman laugh like the billionaire. Billy didn't even think Batman could laugh if he was honest.

This- this was too much. He needed proof. He needed something concrete, something he could touch-

Was Bruce always holding that cowl?

Billy's eyes widened. It felt like his heart skipped a beat at the sight of the dark mask sitting in Bruce's hands. The billionaire held it out to him, and Billy took it gingerly. 

This wasn't some cheap latex rip off- this had to be the real deal. He rubbed a thumb over the graphite shell, his fingers trembling as they ran over the grooves and lines of Batman's cowl. He glanced up at Bruce with wide eyes, but the man said nothing. 

His face gave nothing away- it was carefully neutral, and though he'd never fully seen the man's face when he'd done this, Billy would know that expression anywhere.

"No..." he breathed, swallowing thickly. The mask fell from his hands and landed on the covers. Bruce glanced down at it before meeting Billy's eyes again- there was concern there."No- no..." he mumbled, unable to stop the tears from coming to his eyes.

Everything was going to fall apart now. There was no way he could stay here now, no way he'd be able to sneak past Batman again, either he had to leave or his time as Captain Marvel was over-

"Billy, breathe- you have to breathe," Bruce was standing now, hands out placatingly towards him. The boy took a deep breath, panic still edging at his senses as he stared up at Bruce with wide eyes.