Chapter 14

Flash nodded slowly before gunshots rang out through the watchtower. "I'm so sorry," Cap said, giving Flash an apologetic smile before running towards the Zeta Tubes and vanishing in a flash of light.

- - -

"He...what?"

"I said he knew my name. He knew who I was, Bruce," Jason said, pacing back and forth and seething. His helmet was sitting on the table as he walked back and forth, anger radiating off him. "I don't even know who this guy was, some- some big lightning-themed bastard," he growled, pausing when Bruce's expression changed.

"Hold on. Big, lightning emblem on the chest, black hair, white cape?"

Jason furrowed his brow. "Yeah. Who is he?"

"Captain Marvel."

"Wait, Marvel? That's- that's that guy on the covers of Billy's comic books. The ones Dick got him." he said, anger dissipating slightly.

Bruce crossed his arms over his chest. "Why would Marvel know your identity, Jason. Are you completely sure he said your name?" he asked, giving his son a look. Dick must have decided that this was the perfect time to walk into the meeting room because the metallic door slid open and he strutted inside.

"There you guys are- Why does Flash look like he's regretting his life choices?" he asked, glancing between the two. "Wait, did you pull a gun on him?" he asked, glancing towards the gun on the table and the pair of holes in the wall. 

"Again?"

Jason rolled his eyes, leaning against the table. "No. This Captain Marvel guy apparently knows who I am."

"Are you sure?" Dick asked, tilting his head slightly. "I'm pretty sure the only identities Cap knows are Diana's and Victors, and they're kinda public."

"Yes, I'm sure, Dickhead. He called me by my name when I walked in the room. Had this stunned look on his face and everything."

"Wow, first trip up to the Watchtower and you're already starting trouble," Dick teased with a smirk, only to get a pair of glares in return. He shut his mouth and Jason ran a hand through his hair.

"This makes- it makes zero sense. I have no idea who that guy even is, other than someone that shows up on Billy's comics!" Jason growled in frustration, turning to hit the table as Dick's eyebrows furrowed.

"Wait... actually I- I think this might make sense after all."

"What do you mean, Nightwing?" Bruce asked, turning his attention towards his eldest.

"Well, when we were at the mall, Billy said that Cap was a cool hero because he visited him and other homeless kids and brought them snacks and stuff. He apparently checked up on them and stuff," he said, rubbing at his chin. 

"And...well, I said I wouldn't say anything but Cap was in Gotham a few nights ago- the night that Billy was missing. Maybe he- I dunno, maybe he was checking up on him or something. There's obviously some connection there."

"That would explain the magic soil you and Damien found," Jason commented.

"Marvel is magic, everything he touches becomes embued with it. If he met Billy in the woods, it'd make sense that there would be magical residue on their surroundings. I think Billy might still be a meta, and that may be part of the reason Captain Marvel chose to check up on him." Bruce said, letting out a tired sigh.