Chapter 15

Jason turned his glare from the door to his brother. "I think you're a moron and Bruce is an ass."

- - -

Billy wasn't panicking.

He most definitely was not panicking about the fact that he had slipped up and accidentally said his new foster brother's name upon seeing his alter ego, especially when he wasn't supposed to know he was said alter ego in the first place.

Okay, so maybe he was panicking a little.

Suffice it to say, he wasn't prepared to come back to his room at the manor, flop over the edge of the window sill with chest heaving and find Damien sitting against the footboard of his bed, Captain Marvel comic books in his hands.

"Does that oaf really fight a caterpillar of all things...?" Damien asked with a furrowed brow as Billy sat up slowly. The boy was still trying to catch his breath, his panicked thoughts making him unable to do anything besides nod in response.

"Tt- idiotic."

Billy flopped back down onto the carpet, sweat beading along his brow as he tried to collect his thoughts. The entire situation was bad- his little name slip up could lead to Jason connecting him and Captain Marvel, and that was the last thing he needed. 

What if he told Batman? 

What if he told Mr. Wayne?!

Damien came into his field of vision, standing over him with a raised eyebrow and bored expression on his face. "You act as if you've never climbed through a window before."

"Well..." Billy breathed, going with the first thing that came to his head, "we are on the third floor..."

"Hardly an excuse," Damien commented, leaving Billy on the floor and tossing the comic onto his chest. "Since you're back I'm done covering for you. I have work to do and not enough moonlight to do it in," the boy said, turning on his heel and leaving the room.

Billy sighed, shaking his head at the elder boy. Damien was growing on him- the more time he spent around him the more he saw that the youngest Wayne's spikey personality was more akin to a hedgehog than a mace. 

He had complex layers, and Billy was sure he hadn't even scratched the surface when it came to Damien Wayne.

He was torn from his musings at the sound of a soft knock on the bedroom door before it was being pushed open. Bruce, Dick, and Jason stood in the doorway, watching him as he sat up with wide eyes.

Shit.

"Billy... we need to talk," Bruce said, watching him closely.

No, not yet- he wasn't ready to face this yet, he needed more time! "I- I-" he stammered. He hadn't even had time to come up with an explanation-- what conclusions had they come to?!

Jason was avoiding looking him in the eyes, and Billy couldn't help the guilt that rose up in his chest and made his throat tight. Dick sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Didn't have to make it sound like we were breaking up with the kid, B," he muttered.

"Look, Squirt," Jason said, taking the lead and stepping in front of the other two. He kneeled to be at eye level with Billy, something that would have felt degrading if anyone else had done it, but when Jason did it felt kind

"We just wanna ask you some questions, okay?"

"What- what kind of questions?" he asked nervously, thumbing the hem of his shirt out of habit. He was caught, this was it, they were going to find out and he was going to be kicked out- or worse, kept inside against his will.