Chapter 2. Dangerous

The DJ's lights bounced off the walls and danced across people's faces. Chelsea and I danced close together. Our hips swayed to the music. We ran into several girls that we went to high school with. Some of them we were friends with, and some were downright horrible.

When we first got to the club, it wasn't very busy. However, it became crowded within an hour. My eyes moved around the club. The club had a loft, a VIP section. My eyes flickered up. Several men stood at the railing of the loft with a drink in their hand. I stopped on a familiar pair of blue eyes.

His gaze pierced mine, and his lips were slightly parted. I stopped dancing. I couldn't move under his gaze. I wasn't the type to daze out, but it felt like I was under a trance. His blue eyes swept over me and met my gaze again. Something about the way he held himself screamed dangerous. He wore a black leather jacket that matched his hair. Everything he wore was black. The way his eyes held mine gave me goosebumps and made me self-conscious, and I wasn't the self-conscious type.

"Hello, Abigail? What's your problem?" Chelsea's hand moved in front of my eyes, and it broke the spell.

My eyes flickered to Chelsea. "S-sorry," I stuttered. "Who is he? He looks familiar."

Chelsea followed my gesture. "Who?" she asked, confused.

I looked back up to the VIP section almost unwillingly, afraid of the trance I had been put into moments ago, but he wasn't there. My eyebrows knitted together. My eyes only left him for a couple of seconds. How can he already be gone?

"Abigail, I think you had too much to drink," Chelsea snickered.

"No," I said and shook my head. I staggered slightly. My head felt fuzzy from the alcohol I had consumed. Okay, maybe I'm a little drunk. "I know what I saw."

Chelsea giggled. "It is late. Are you ready to get a taxi?"

The song stopped, and I gazed around the bar, looking for him. "Um. . ." I trailed off.

Chelsea didn't give me a chance to finish. She pulled me off the dance floor. We grabbed our things and headed for the door.

We flagged down a taxi and gave him my brother's address.

"So, what did he look like?" Chelsea wondered.

Hot—I thought to myself. I shook the thought out of my head. "Um, black hair and blue eyes. I ran into him the other day. I spilled hot coffee on him." I grimaced at the memory.

Chelsea snorted. "That's bound to turn on any man. Besides, what happened to steering clear of men?"

"Trust me, I am. That doesn't mean I can't look. . ." I trailed off and shrugged. "From afar."

Chelsea and I bursted into giggles.

The taxi stopped at my brother's apartment complex. We got out and went inside.

My brother answered the door after a few knocks. "Shh," he hushed us. "She's sleeping on the couch."

We staggered into the apartment and giggled. Sean caught both of us before we could fall over. "Well, I see you two had a nice time," he muttered.

Chelsea went to bed with Sean, and I curled up on the couch beside Stormy. Stormy took the death of her dad pretty hard. We spent hours last night talking about it. I didn't tell her exactly how he died. I told her he was sick in a way that couldn't be fixed. I ran my fingers through her hair and stared at her little face. How could something so innocent go through something so horrific at such a young age?