Chapter 9. Bad Boy

"You did what?" Hayden snapped.

I sighed. "Well, it seemed like a good idea," I said and shrugged. "Why are you even upset? I got you off the hook."

"No, Abby. Don't spin this, alright? This isn't what I fucking wanted at all," he spat. He ran a hand through his hair as he paced back and forth. "I don't want you getting involved in the shit that I get involved with!"

"How was I not involved in it, Hayden? This entire thing was about me, wasn't it?" I threw my hands in the air and let them fall back to my sides.

Hayden stopped pacing and looked up at me through narrowed eyes. "I could have taken care of it myself. You shouldn't be apologizing to him for something that is his fault."

I scoffed and crossed my arms over my chest. "Get real, babe. I didn't apologize for shit. I did just the opposite. I went off on him for pressing charges and for how he spoke of me. I told him it was his fault that he got his ass beat and that he should watch his damn mouth when he is drunk. I put him in his place, and he knew that I was right."

Hayden stared at me in disbelief. "You went and picked a fight with him?"

"You're damn right I did. I told him that you were mad because of how he talked about me, and any decent man would have probably done the same thing. I even asked him if some guy trashed his girlfriend the way he trashed me if he would have just let it slide. He apologized to me and even offered to help you get your job back," I explained.

Hayden groaned and ran his hand through his hair. "I don't want that stupid job back. I can't face him after the shit that he pulled. I would want to knock his teeth in all over again. It's probably just safer to keep my distance from him," he said.

"You're probably right," I agreed. "Now, are we going out to celebrate or what?"

Hayden rolled his eyes and smiled. "Whatever you want, bebé," he said.

"Good," I said and smiled.

Sean and Chelsea asked us to go down to the club tonight for a few drinks.

We climbed into Hayden's Challenger and sped off in the direction of downtown. Hayden stayed quiet for most of the ride, and I refused to break the silence between us.

Hayden grabbed my hand from my lap and pressed his lips to it. "You know that I don't mean it, bebé. I'm just not used to anyone butting into my life the way you do," he teased.

I smiled and rolled my eyes. "It's okay, babe. I'm used to you being a big fat meany," I said and chuckled.

He threw his head back and laughed. "How old are you?"

I stuck my tongue out at him as an answer.

Hayden pulled the car into a parking lot and turned it off. He leaned over and pressed his lips to mine. I don't think either of us meant for the kiss to turn into what it did—it just happened that way.

My chest pressed against his, and I tangled my fingers into his hair. His warm lips pressed harder to mine, and he groaned. His teeth sank into my bottom lip.

Maybe we should have celebrated at home—I thought eagerly and started to climb over the center council to get into his lap.

Glass shattered, and we broke apart.

A gasp escaped me.

"Get down!" Hayden hissed. He covered my head with his hands and pulled me into him protectively as more glass around us shattered.