Chapter 10. Ours

Dark storm clouds rolled through the sky. The sun didn't shine the entire day, and why should it? The threatening clouds screamed at me to leave, but I couldn't help but stare at the coffin. Two men grabbed shovels and started to throw dirt on top of the casket that now sat six feet down in the ground.

Abigail leaned into me and sighed. "Andy, I think we better go. Those clouds look pretty dark."

I gazed across the hole that now held Iris. Iris's sister, Irena, stared down at the casket with a broken expression—much like me.

I turned Abigail to face me. "I'll meet you at the car. I want to speak with Irena."

Abigail nodded. She pecked my cheek and walked around me. My gaze followed Abigail for a moment. Abigail threw her hand over her black hat when the wind threatened to blow it away. Her black dress blew out behind her as she walked.

Irena and I didn't have a chance to speak yet. Aria spoke mostly with Irena. Aria had a charming way about her. She had a way of making people feel comfortable near her. I wouldn't say I carried that trait. Aria told Irena that I thought it was best to lay Iris next to her children—that's what Iris would have wanted, and I knew that.

Irena looked up at me as I approached. She smiled weakly at me. "Gosh, Hayden. Look at you, all grown up."

Her words caught me off guard, and I stopped. I hadn't gone by that name in months, and hearing her call me that sent me back to a time in my life that somehow felt foreign, as if it wasn't me at all. I hadn't seen Irena in well over seven years.

She approached me. "How are you?"

"I've been better," I said and paused. "I've been worse. How are you?"

"I imagine about the same as you."

"I'm sorry. I begged her not to leave," I whispered. "I never wanted this for her."

"It's strange, you know? For seven years, I believed that you killed my nieces and nephews. To be told you didn't completely messed me up."

"How do you think I felt when I found out? It's no use anymore, you know? They'll never know that I didn't do it because the person that could have corrected it is gone."

Irena rubbed my arm soothingly. "Iris told me about your biological family. Aria seems sweet," she said.

"She is," I agreed.

"I never would have been able to pay to transfer Iris clear to Florida. Not to mention the extravagant funeral that they held," she said.

"It's not even over yet," I said. "My parents bought a vacation house in Jacksonville for me when we come here to visit Abigail's mother. We're having dinner there. We would like you to come. My parents will be there."

"Well, I meant to go back to the hotel after this and head out first thing in the morning, but that would be rude, wouldn't it? Considering they paid for my sister's funeral."

"Follow me," I said.

"Of course." Irena's rental car was parked behind mine. We drove out of the cemetery, which wasn't very far from the beach house.

The other beach houses were a fair distance from the one my parents bought. The house was far bigger than it needed to be. I told them a house wasn't necessary. What the hell did I need a house in Jacksonville for? Sure, we came to visit Abigail's mother, but a hotel or staying with Abigail's mom would have sufficed. I've noticed that Ace and Aria love to give people things.