Chapter 4. Thawed

"Damn it, Stormy," I hissed. "I told you not to answer that door when I'm showering."

Stormy stared up at the person that stood at the door. Stormy turned back to me as I dashed down the stairs. "It's okay, Mommy. It's the coffee guy," Stormy said and smiled.

"Go." I pointed toward the living room and continued for the door. Stormy snuck past me and dashed back to the living room. I stopped in the frame of the door.

I wore nothing but a towel. I heard the knock on the front door and was afraid Stormy would answer it. "Hey."

Hayden's eyes swept over me almost uncontrollably. He looked away awkwardly. "Hi."

A blush crept into my cheeks, but I ignored it and swung the door open wider to let him inside. "You can come in," I said. "I'm almost ready." Hayden and I hung out a lot the last few weeks.

He stepped inside, leaving little room between our bodies, and he closed the door. "I'm sorry. I'm early."

"It's okay. I'll be back down in a few minutes."

"Take your time," he said and shrugged.

I dashed back upstairs to my bedroom. I threw the towel into a basket and started to dress into the clothes that were strewn across my mattress. We planned to watch movies with Sean and Chelsea at Sean's place.

It took me hours to calm my mom down about Hayden, but she promised to give him the benefit of the doubt. Mom agreed to watch Stormy for me. I often went out on Saturdays and spent Sunday with Stormy.

I went back downstairs. Hayden wasn't waiting by the front door anymore. I peeked around the corner into the living room. He sat on the couch and leaned toward Stormy. Stormy smiled widely at him, showing off the teddy bear that Jason bought her.

"I think it's a very cute teddy bear," Hayden said.

"My daddy bought him. He's in heaven now," Stormy said sadly.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart. It might not seem like it, but I'm sure that over time, it will get easier," Hayden said softly. He rubbed her arm gently.

I stared in astonishment. Wow, he's better with kids than adults—I thought in amusement. "I'm ready," I said.

Hayden and Stormy looked at me.

"Bye, Mommy," Stormy said.

Hayden stood up.

Mom stayed in the kitchen. She told me she wasn't ready to meet Hayden. She accused me of being with him, but I told her we were just friends.

"See you later, baby. Be good," I said.

Hayden and I walked out the door. We climbed into his Challenger, and he sped away from the house.

"She seems like a good kid. She talks well. Didn't you say she's three?" Hayden asked, confused.

"The doctors told me she's very intelligent for her age."

"Clearly."

It didn't take long for us to reach the apartment complex.

We let ourselves into Sean's apartment. Sean had popcorn and soda ready. All four of us easily fit onto the couch. Chelsea and I sat between the boys. I sat beside Hayden, and Chelsea sat beside Sean.