Chapter 7. We're Professionals

Flames erupted in the sky as the clubhouse blew to pieces. The sun, a fiery orange color, shown through the trees as it set. We wired the place and peeked through the windows to ensure everyone was in the clubhouse, where they were supposed to be.

Benny had the button to the bomb in his hand. "That never gets old," he said and chuckled.

"Admit it. You don't want to be retired any more than the rest of us. You wouldn't know what to do with yourself." Ace raised his fist for Benny to bump it.

Benny bumped his knuckles with Ace's knuckles. "I'll give you that."

"And we wouldn't know what to do without you," Aria said and smiled at Benny.

"Don't get sappy on me," Benny teased.

Sean jumped into the van, and I slid the door closed. Sean pulled the black gloves and black ski mask off. Sean exhaled sharply. "Well, nobody lived through that. I guess this means I'm fired."

Austin chuckled. "I like him."

I smiled and shook my head. "It's kind of a relief," I said. "That's one thing that isn't hanging over my damn head anymore."

"One down, one to go," Ace said.

"Yeah. . ." I trailed off. My gaze flickered to Sean. Sean would never admit it, but I saw the concern in his eyes. I understood it. Sean no longer had a job, and with no job, he wouldn't have a roof over his head. His only option would be to go back to Marlena's, his mother's house.

"What?" Sean asked as he took in my thoughtful expression. Sean had been in trouble and built a reputation. The chances of him getting a job in Jacksonville weren't good, and it would likely be a while before he found one.

Before I could answer, sirens sounded in the distance. The firetrucks would be here shortly. Someone might have seen the vans, but the vans wouldn't be linked back to us. We jacked them from a rival gang.

"Let's get the hell out of here," I said.

The van started and peeled out of the parking lot of the clubhouse. The sirens grew quieter as Luis put more distance between us and the clubhouse.

I couldn't just invite Sean to California without asking my parents, but I understood his need for a fresh start. If anyone knew that feeling, it was me.

Abigail sighed with relief when I walked into the hotel room. She wrapped her arms around my neck and buried her face into my chest. "You're okay," she said.

"Of course, he is. We're professionals," Joey teased.

"Thank Benny very much," Benny added.

"Thanks, man. Seriously," I said and put my hand out for him to shake it.

Benny tilted his head and stared at my hand. "Wow, a genuine thank you. You can definitely tell you weren't raised in this family," Benny said and chuckled. He took my hand and shook it. "No problem, boy. Happy to help, but can we get the fuck out of dodge?"

Ace laughed. "Whatever, Benny. We thank you all the time."

"No, they don't. Don't let them lie to you, kid," Benny said.

Aria gave Benny a playful shove. "Benny is right, though. We have to go soon. Nothing can be left behind."

"Especially not anything Benny brought," Andrea said and smirked.