Chapter 4. Insomnia

My eyes memorized Abigail's face as she slept soundly on my chest. The doctors told me that I suffered from insomnia. Out of all the things that were supposedly wrong with me, this one seemed to be accurate.

The alarm clock read three in the morning. If the alarm clock could talk, it would probably tell me to go the fuck to sleep. I sighed and carefully climbed out of bed. I crept down the hallway and downstairs. I gazed around, trying to remember where the kitchen was.

I walked to the right and through the first door, which was a door that swung both ways. I crept into the kitchen, which was dimly lit by a stove light. I walked to a cupboard and opened it to look for a cup.

"Next cupboard over if you're looking for a cup," a deep voice said. I jumped and spun around. I didn't realize it, but I had walked right past Ace.

"Oh, um, thanks," I said awkwardly. I grabbed a cup from the cupboard and ran the faucet.

"You're up kind of early," Ace said.

"I never went to sleep," I said honestly.

"Insomnia?" Ace asked and chuckled.

I spun around, surprised. The way Ace said it implied that I wasn't the only one. "You too?"

"Yep," he said. "Your sister, Andrea, has it too. She used to come into our room in the middle of the night. I was usually awake, so I would bring her down to the kitchen, get her something to drink, and talk to her until she was tired enough to go back to bed."

I smiled and shook my head. "That's kind of weird. Do you guys have IED too?"

Ace pursed his lips and shook his head. "I'm not sure what that is," he said.

"Intermittent explosive disorder. It's an anger disorder."

"Do you have that?" Ace arched a brow.

"That's what the doctors said. After I supposedly killed my siblings and blacked out, which I blacked out probably from a concussion because I was knocked out by Harold, they diagnosed me with a bunch of things. I have bipolar, IED, insomnia, depression, and a couple of others."

"Oh, well, that all probably runs in the family, but we like to use our mental disorders strategically," Ace said and chuckled. "Your mother is kind of nuts. I have a bad temper. Angel's kind of weird."

"Speak for yourself, old man," Angel said as he strolled into the kitchen.

I chuckled. "Did you sleep?"

Angel shook his head. "Nope. Not yet. I probably won't at this point. I slept pretty well the other night, though."

Ace chuckled. "I forgot to mention Angel has insomnia too. He also has ADHD pretty bad."

"Yeah, I got that one, and here I thought I was crazy."

"Buddy, you're a Garcia. You're fucking nuts," Angel said. "Runs in the blood."

Ace chuckled.

Andrea walked into the kitchen. "Holy shit. A family reunion."

"We must be the lucky ones with the insomnia gene," I said.

Andrea shrugged and nodded. "I slept like an hour, but I woke up again." Andrea plopped in a seat beside Ace.

We were silent for a long time.

"Are you going to stay after all this crap is over?" Andrea asked.