Chapter 7. Full Attention

"Wow," I said and laughed. "You're really good at surfing. Where did you learn it?"

Hayden shook some of the water from his hair. "I did it a lot after I got out of the hospital," Hayden said. He sat down next to me on a beach towel. Drops of water fell from his hair and rolled down his face. His dark skin glistened as the sun dried him.

"But you don't now?" I asked. "Why not? You seem to enjoy it."

"I love it, but I don't always have time. Between Mateo's place and the coffee shop, I'm pretty busy."

"I've noticed," I agreed. "You've been out late."

Hayden shrugged off what I said. "Alright. It's your turn," he said and gestured to the surfboard in front of us.

"No way." I giggled and snorted. "I haven't got that kind of balance."

"You said that you would try anything once," he argued.

I put my sunglasses over my eyes and laid back on the beach towel. "Some things are out of my league," I said. I kept my eyes closed. The sun disappeared, and I knew that Hayden hovered over me. I opened my eyes and moved my sunglasses to the top of my head. "What?"

"Okay, if you won't try surfing, I'll teach you to drive a motorcycle," he said.

"Oh my god," I said and chuckled. "Forget it, Hayden. I've never even been on one. Besides, you need good balance for that too, and that thing is huge."

"That's not fair," he muttered. Frustration clouded his eyes and pierced mine.

"What?"

"Well, I learned how to use that stupid cellphone to talk to you," he smirked.

I bit down on my lip. My eyes danced with humor. "Did you really do that just for me?"

"Just for you."

I sighed. "Okay, fine. At least take me for a ride—"

"Sure," he said and smirked. "I'd love to."

I narrowed my eyes at him, and he laughed. "On the motorcycle, and if I like it, I'll try to drive it," I finished.

He pursed his lips and nodded. "Perfect. Let's go."

My eyes widened as Hayden pulled me to my feet. "Hayden, wait! Not right this second."

"Why not?" he argued.

"We haven't even been here long." That wasn't the reason, but there was no way that I was going to admit to being a coward. I mashed my lips in a flat line.

"Are you afraid?" he teased.

"No," I scoffed.

His expression filled with disbelief. "Come on. I won't let you get hurt," he said. The sincerity in his eyes left me speechless.

How could I argue that? I sighed. "Okay."

"Yeah?" he asked excitedly.

"If you get me killed, I'm going to haunt you for the rest of your life," I vowed.

Hayden pulled me up the beach. He couldn't seem to contain the excitement he felt. Over the last few weeks, I saw a completely different side of Hayden, and I liked what I saw. Things were going well between us. Stormy grew more attached to him with each passing day, which concerned me a little. She would be heartbroken if things didn't work out.