Chapter 12. You Took Him

"Abigail, you have to eat something," Mom insisted, her eyes filled with concern. "You haven't eaten anything in three days."

"I'm not hungry."

Stormy spent the last few days with my mother because I could hardly take care of myself, let alone her.

A faint knock came from the front door. Mom sighed and left the kitchen to answer the door.

I stared down at the small cup of coffee. I couldn't eat, sleep, or hardly function after the accident.

"Abigail?" a deep voice echoed in the kitchen.

I knew the voice instantly. I jumped to my feet, spun around, and glowered at my brother.

Mom stood behind him with pursed lips. "I'm going to leave you two alone," she said. She turned and left the kitchen.

"Leave," I spat.

"Not until you talk to me," Sean said.

"I refuse to even look at you."

"This wasn't my fault, Abby. It was an accident. You should just be happy it wasn't your daughter that got hit by that car."

"You son of a bitch," I snapped. I stormed up to him and slapped him across the face.

Sean's head whipped to the side from the blow. He sighed and turned his head back to look at me. "Stop it, Abby."

"How dare you. How dare you stand there in front of me and tell me that it isn't your fault. You're no better than the other three. You're not innocent in any of this. My daughter could have been killed because you and your worthless biker buddies had to play whose dick is bigger! You all four came to him to stir shit up. You could have done so much more, but you didn't."

"They would kill me if I quit or stood in the way. Once you're in it, it's for life, Abby. I can't change it now. I tried to talk Hayden out of quitting because I knew they would try to take him out," Sean said. "They fear Hayden because he is strong and smart as hell. He would have been the best addition to that gang, and they all knew it. So, when he chose not to be a part of it, they got pissed off. They needed him."

"I needed him," I whispered. "And you bastards took him from me. If you guys hadn't shown up and started a fight, he wouldn't be in a hospital bed barely clinging to life."

"He's still alive, Abigail. He's not dead," Sean said. His voice filled with emotion.

"He's in critical condition, moron. Do you realize what that means? He might not make it. He's on life support."

"I'm sorry," Sean murmured.

I laughed. "You're sorry? You're sorry? You can take that apology and shove it straight up your fucking ass, Sean! I don't fucking care that you're sorry! I hate you, and I never want to see you again." I stormed past Sean and out the front door. I didn't want to deal with Sean or Mom. I knew Mom would try to coax me into forgiving Sean because he's my brother, but something felt too off about Sean since I got home.

The hospital parking lot wasn't very full. I went to my mom's house to check on Stormy. Stormy would eat, but she barely did anything else. Stormy kept telling people it was her fault, but I told her to stop blaming herself for it. Stormy was just a little girl, and she didn't know any better. We should have been watching her—correction—I should have been watching her.