Chapter 46

Chapter 46

"Hey," sabi ni Dominic kay Austin na naka-tingin sa amin. Austin smiled and approached us. He looked at me for one second, nodded at me, and then looked back at Dominic. "What brings you here?" he asked.

"Transcript."

"You're studying again?"

"Not yet decided," he replied. Tumingin muli sa akin si Austin. "Nice to see you," he said before he said goodbye. He didn't even finish his first step when Dominic called his name. Napa-tigil siya at humarap muli sa amin.

"Busy?" Dominic asked.

"Not really," Austin replied.

"We're going to get ice cream. Do you want to come?" Tumingin sa akin si Austin. "Karma, Austin's asking without words if it's alright with you that he'd join us?"

"Sure," sagot ko dahil hindi naman ako ang may-ari ng ice cream shop sa may tabi ng College of Education.

We began to walk. No one was talking. It was such a nice afternoon dahil hindi mataas iyong araw. Hindi masyadong mainit. Hindi rin masyadong malakas iyong hangin. May mga nagja-jog sa oval na nakaka-salubong kami.

"What's up with you?" Dominic asked.

"Nothing much," he replied.

"Work?" Dominic asked.

"Sure."

"Girlfriend?"

"No girlfriend," he said. Tumingin sa akin si Dominic. He grinned. My forehead creased at what he did. Napa-tingin si Austin sa akin dahil sa nangyari. Kumunot din ang noo niya. And then he cleared his throat. "You?" he asked me.

"Me?" I replied.

"I have a girlfriend," sabi ni Dominic.

Austin shook his head for a second and then we continued to walk in silence. Pagdating namin sa may ice cream shop ay maraming tao. Dominic volunteered to buy the ice cream for us habang nasa labas kami at naghihintay.

"How are you?" Austin asked after a minute of full silence.

"I'm fine," I replied. "You?"

"Good."

Wala ulit nagsalita sa amin.

"How's BV?" I asked.

"I don't know," he replied. "I left him at the house, so that you could go visit."

"I don't visit," I said.

"Oh," he replied.

And then there was silence again.

He put his hands inside his pocket. Was it possible that he grew taller than the last time I saw him? Or was it because of the hair? His curly hair wasn't as long as before. He looked more professional now.

"You should visit," sabi ni Austin. "Or do you want to get BV's custody?" he asked. "Cohen's the only one staying there with our parents."

"Hindi ba malulungkot si Violet?"

"Violet died."

Agad akong napa-tingin sa kanya.

"I went home. We had a small funeral. It was... nice."

"Bakit hindi ko alam?"

"You specifically asked me not to talk to you for at least a year."

I looked at the people passing right in front of us again. I did ask him that... I figured that I'd need at least a year to be okay again. But it had been more than a year.