Luffy

You took a deep breath as you looked out upon the vast ocean that hit the boat with gentle waves making it rock. The night sky reminded you of when you used to stare longingly at the moon a few months back, wishing to leave and disappear, with no one from your old life finding you. You always wanted to travel and explore the world, and here you were, on this ship you and your boyfriend stole. You'd finally be able to see things for yourself, and with the person you loved. Everything you've ever known will be gone, forgotten more and more every time you breathed in the salty air of the sea.

"Shishishi," You heard Luffy laughing behind you, "where do you wanna go first?" 

"It doesn't matter where we go, neither of us knows how to navigate, lets's just sail straight and see where that takes us." He nodded, an enthusiastic grin on his face as he let go of the wheel and approached you. You felt his arms wrap themselves around you as he rested his head on your shoulder. "You think we'll ever be arrested for this?" 

"Who knows." He shrugged, "We could share a cell." 

"It doesn't work like that." You smiled, as you messed with the ring the straw-hatted boy had given you your junior year of high school. He told you it was the start of him giving you everything you deserved and wanted. A promise to always be there, you didn't realize the weight his words held as you stood there in his arms. It was too late though, you'd already betted everything for him. Going back to your hometown would only get you arrested. Your only home now was with him on this boat that neither of you owned. 

"Don't worry so much about the future," Luffy said, poking your cheek, "just focus on me~" He whined into your ear, wanting you to pay more attention to him.

-X-X-X-

Was all of this worth it? Giving up your entire life for a life of crime with Luffy? It sounded good in the beginning, didn't it? Why are you second-guessing it now? 

The two of you were known worldwide, banned from most countries, including the one where you originated. Wanted posters, bounties, and all of your information and crimes blasted on the news everywhere. You'd been doing this for about a year now, exploring a new town and stealing a bit. It started off innocent enough, white lies and petty pickpocketing here and there, but then the crimes started getting heavier, with both of you robbing banks and better boats, you even murdered a few people to avoid getting caught. It was starting to affect you, you didn't want to be a part of this anymore, you wanted your quiet life back. 

"Hey Luffy," The floorboards creaked below you as you walked towards him into your shared room below deck. "I want out." 

He didn't reply, just kept swinging the pale hammock he laid on. His hat covered his eyes but you could tell by the way he was frowning that he didn't like what you were saying. The waves crashing against the side of the boat were the only sounds you could hear in the crippling silence of the cabin. You were about to say something when Luffy started sitting up, pushing his hat back on top of his head as he looked down on you in anger. 

"What do you mean you want out? Out of this ship? We can get a new one at the next town, I'll let you pick whatever one you want." He told you, calming himself down as he thought you probably didn't want to leave him, but the ship instead. 

"No, I don't want to be a criminal anymore, I want you to drop me off at the next town." You explained, watching as he hopped out of the hammock, landing on the floor with a rough thud.

"You can't leave! You'll be arrested!" He exclaimed, taking swift steps toward you when he noticed the way you slowly inched your way toward the door. "Do you really want to spend your life in jail? A life without me?" 

"I don't care anymore, I'll do my time and when I get out I can restart my life in a peaceful village. I don't like what we're doing anymore."

"No, you and I are in this together, you can't leave." 

"Yes, I can! I-" You were cut off by Luffy gripping the front of your shirt as he loomed over you with a dark expression. You never really noticed the height difference between the two of you until now, he never seemed this intimidating until now. You could feel yourself shrinking down at his harsh gaze, the normally optimistic boy being this hostile scared you. You didn't know why, you knew he was weirdly strong for such a scrawny-looking guy, but you were really seeing his strength now as he kept you from leaving. 

"After everything I've done for you! We haven't even gone halfway yet!" He yelled at you, as you stare up at him in fear. "There's so much more for us out there! You can't leave yet!" You started to shake even more as he dragged you across the room. You struggled in his grasp, clawing and kicking at him as he threw you in the closet, closing the door quickly afterward. 

Your breath started to quicken as you processed what was happening to you. "Let me out!" You screamed, banging on the barricaded door, "Luffy!" You cried out, desperately pushing against the wood door.

"I'll let you out when you decide to stay here with me, it's for the best, you'll see." He said to you on the other side. His voice was a lot quieter and more caring than it was a few seconds ago, back to its natural happy-go-lucky tone he always had. The same one you thought you loved.

You felt tears roll down your face as you pulled your knees up to your chest, you finally understood what he meant when he gave you the ring. When he said he'd always be there, he really meant you and him would never be separated, even at the cost of your health. With a shaky hand, you took the cold metal off your finger, setting it beside you as you cowered back into the corner of the dark and enclosed space, where you'd be for a little while longer before you inevitably broke.