7- Scarred for life

"I suck at this shit," I grumble to myself

"You do," Luna snickers right next to me.

As if I needed a reminder.

I look exasperated at the piece of clay in front of me. At some point, we were going to be asked to start to sculpt. I just didn't know the teacher would ask for a trial right at the second class.

Who am I kidding? I knew this could happen, I  was just hopeful that... I don't know I could magically be good at it.

Ridiculous, right? I know, that's what you get for doing shit before thinking about it properly. 

Believe me, it happens more often than not with me. I should've learned by now but...

Oh well, I got to get through this now.

"Guys, no need to stress, just do whatever comes to your mind.  I just need to see what you're capable of doing,"

Well, fuck me. 

Apparently, my only gift is painting, because I can't even make a fucking square out of this shit.

"It won't materialize itself if you keep glaring at it," she taunts.

"Fuck off," I whisper-yell at her. "I don't know what the fuck to do."

Side-eyeing her, I notice how her hands are now covered in this greyish colour and how her clay bar is starting to get a shape. A perfectly shaped horse head. How the fuck can she even do that?

"Just do whatever you want," she shrugs.

"If I knew the easiest stuff to sculpt, I would," I hiss.

"Do a duck or a swan," she advises. "Or even a snake those oughta be easy, right?" 

My face lightens up at her advice. 

They have to be.

I start to finally model the clay, starting with the biggest part of the swan, their body, leaving a piece for the neck and head later.

The first shape comes off fine, slightly smaller than I intended but it has the right shape so I don't even bother touching it further so I don't ruin it. I move to do the neck and roll it down and shape it to the width I want it to be before attaching it to the body with a watered-clay brush.

Lastly, I do the head: oval-shaped with the prominent bill.

Once I have it all put together, I examine it. A frown finds its way onto my face and it turns into a scowl when I hear hushed giggling next to me.

"What are you laughing at?" 

"I just... what bird is that?" She asks, covering her mouth, trying to suppress her laughter.

It's beautiful. 

She might be mocking me and my lacking skills when it comes to sculpting, but damn, her laughter is melodic.