Chapter 74

As for Jin qing, she was in for a surprise when she got back home. Already, she wasn't in a good mood from failing to bring back home her brother, so the realization that a prince of the very country that banished her was at her home waiting for her was the final straw. 

She didn't realize this immediately, of course. Though, she did find it odd that Yu Qi was waiting for her by the path leading towards the home rather than doing chores. It was nearing winter-- the old woman would have never allowed anyone to stand in idle unless she had deemed them worthy enough. 

"Yu Qi?"

She snapped into attention, pushing herself off the tree she was leaning on and hurried over to her horse to lead it back home. "Your highness," she breathed out.  "You're finally back."

"Don't call me that anymore. What's wrong?" Jin qing caught the slight glance behind her, but Yu Qi didn't say anything about the absence of a brother behind them. "Did something happen?"

"Not something... someone."

"Someone?" Jin qing couldn't see anything out of the ordinary as they approached the home, but Yu Qi nodded as if this 'someone' was a grave threat to both of them. Everything was in place: The old woman preparing preserved vegetables with Xiao Wen and Nian Zhen by the fire in front of the house, the old man and the boys out of sight-- possibly doing their own thing in the forests or by the lake-- and her maids scurrying around with chores. The only thing new about the yard was an extra stool, the tiny ones that any grown man sitting on it would have to bend their knees in an uncomfortable way for them to even plant their bottoms on the seat. 

At the sound of hoof steps, the ones present in the front yard looked up to see who it was-- their eyes full of hope to see Hai Lin behind Jin qing... and each pair of eyes dropped in disappointment when they realized that she had come home alone. 

Yu qi helped Jin qing off her horse, and the old woman gave her a hug. Without Jin qing saying anything, the old woman put her hand to her cheek and gently stroked it. "It's alright you didn't bring Hai Lin home," she said softly "Don't burden yourself with it."

Jin qing didn't say anything and could only nod, leaning her cheek against the comforting touch of someone she considered to be her true mother. For the past week or so, she had been trying to get to Hai lin and the recruitment officers to see if she could try and bribe them for them to make him an exception, and for one week they have failed. She had originally thought it was because that the money offered wasn't enough, but she eventually learned that it was because Hai Lin wasn't even in the area anymore. He had been sent to the capital for basic training the day after he was drafted. 

Is the Wei this desperate for soldiers, that they would send them that early? Typically, they would allow drafted men to say their goodbyes to family before leaving. That type of treatment was only for prisoners and criminals. If this was happening across the country, no wonder the army is in a general state of revolt. 

The old woman wasn't finished, and she stepped aside to nod her head towards the house. "Besides, there are other opportunities to bring him back if Xue Hua couldn't get her brother to release him." 

"Huh?"

"Someone decided to crawl back to you like a dog with its tail between its legs," Yu Qi grumbled, clearly unhappy that this 'someone' was here. "Why is he still inside?" She asked, raising her voice and shouting at the house. "Auntie, I'll kick him out of the house and serve his pampered behind to you on a platter if you say the word."

The old woman chuckled. "It's early in the morning, and scrubbing pig pens is harder than you think. I told him to stay in and help Bai Yan clean some of the peasants that the boys hunted yesterday." She tilted her head towards the door. "Xin er, I know you're curious. Why don't you go and find out who it is?" She suggested, using her free hand to rein Yu Qi back when she tried to follow Jin qing to the house.