Chapter 19

Even in her unconscious state, Jin qing rested fitfully. Though her body never moved an inch, her mind and dreams thrashed her around in place after place, voices jabbing in her ears, and the familiar cold, musty smell of stone.

Her sister Xue Hua was never asleep and had to watch helplessly as her sister was carried off into a prison-like carriage.

She herself was dragged off, and her petite form was no match for the brutes.

As the wagon drifted off, she can hear the shouts and the blood-curling screams of the Wei soldiers being outnumbered and murdered.
She plugged her ears in an attempt to drown out the noise.

She realized this will be the sounds of war, and suddenly understood why her sister was so anxious to avoid it, even willing to sacrifice herself for the feeble hope of peace.

Even Xue Hua knew an act like this is a declaration of war. It was inevitable now that this gesture of peace has been obliterated.

She stared at her sister with the same helpless expression as before.
She was knocked out, for sure, and unable to help her until she awoke.

She stared out the small windows and felt tears streaming down her own face, and quickly wiped them away, ashamed such a big girl like her was crying.

Xue Hua shut her eyes and covered her ears. Jin qing would know what to do in this situation.
What would her sister do if she was awake?

She knew her sister would first calm down and take in the surroundings.

Looking up, she stared back down the path they came from and tried to remember certain things. A clearing, a small stream, a cliffside, anything.
But she was a lady who grew up only knowing the city. This was still and only will be the forest to her, nothing but trees and a stream from the lake.

She asked herself once again what would her sister do next.

Access the situation

Alright, she thought to herself. Two women in a carriage in enemy land, outnumbered and overpowered, far away from any sort of city.

The odds weren't looking too good

What would Jin qing do next?
Make a plan.

Right, but how would she do that?

She stared at her sister and wished she could wake up sooner.

After what seemed like years, the carriage shook to a stop.

Xue hua looked up to see the door open. They dragged her back out and began to drag her into the second floor of a building made of bamboo, wood, and straw within a walled-in fort.

"Jin Qing!" She cried out, watching her sister's body being carried off in the opposite direction. "Please, let me be with my sister..."

The man ignored her pleads and requests and shut the door behind them.

She hurried to the small barred windows and watched her sister's body get dragged into another room.

Xue hua stumbled back and sat on the floor, all sense of peace leaving her.
She started crying.

She never realized how important Jin Qing's presence was to her. Even when she was unconscious, it provided for her a sense of comfort that there was something or someone she knew that will know what to do. Now that she was alone, it was gone. She wasn't even sure if she'll see her again.