Chapter 55

Jin qing stared down at the training army below the walls. 

Their efficiency amazed her, how in perfect synchronization they moved, how the roars of a thousand men of a section echoed in the field matched the beating of the drums. 
A system like this would be difficult to stop. A highly trained, disciplined army made of hundreds of groups like this would be a noteworthy opponent. 

Jin qing was starting to regret not paying the troops back in the Wei more attention. 
she told herself to put more faith into Kai Feng and Shang Ye, reassuring herself that they were capable generals and will do just fine without her help. 

The most she can do now is finish her job of sparking a rebellion in the Song that will catch aflame as soon as she leaves. 

She had no doubt that an army like this would have no problem stopping uprisings in the city or in the surrounding countrysides, but the damage done would hopefully hinder the Song's process- not to mention that stopping rebellions would stop these trained men from going into battle. 

Jin qing had to admit she was a little bit disappointed to learn that not all soldiers were like the ones that held her and Xue Hua. 

But every basket of grain has its share of rotten ones. I can't expect their army to be all like that when they've been doing so well in the war...

With Tian Xiang guarding the home front so well, this might prove to be a little more difficult than I thought. 

But that doesn't matter now. The two orphans will be of great help to me. They have seen firsthand how poorly the people of the city can be treated despite what they have lost. If I can convince them to tell me more... this could be my lucky break. 

Jin qing turned around and descended the steps back down to ground level, paying no attention to the guards around the area. 
With the emperor's permission, she was allowed to go almost anywhere she liked- a privilege she intended to use to its limits. 

The two orphans should be awake by now and wondering where I am. I promised the little boy that I'll get sweets for him. Perhaps I can drop by the kitchen and get some lunch for them while I'm at it. I don't need to hide them anymore, so I can freely request for three portions...

I wonder what children these days like? When I was their age, I would be happy to get a bit of steamed bread from Gui Fei. 

Jin qing headed toward the kitchens, turning her head when she heard someone call out. 

"Miss!" A guard ran hurriedly to her "We meet again!"

Jin qing recognized him as the guard she had asked for help find Yu Qi. She didn't expect him to remember her, which was going to be a little awkward explaining who she is...
"Oh!" She said cheerfully "It's you! Yes, we do meet again." 

"You're not wearing a serving girl's outfit?" He frowned from underneath his helmet, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. "You're dressed like a fine lady."

Jin qing pressed her finger to her lips "shhh. Don't let anyone hear that! It's hard to walk around when a lady is dressed up. I asked a serving girl for her dress so I can walk around easier. Sorry for lying to you."

He laughed nervously "ha... that's true."

Jin Qing smiled "But don't let that affect you. I liked talking to you as if we are equal that day. I wasn't lying when I said I was new around and needed help finding my way around here."
She put up the sweetest facade she can muster, acting a little like a sweet and innocent maiden. 

The guard seemed to buy it. "Well, of course, if that's what you ask." He answered, "You never told me your name? Can I address you by your name?"

"Of course." She answered, "My name is Jin qing."