Chapter 25

When a person is in bed hanging onto life with nothing to do but think, they often ponder on things they usually won't touch on when they are well.

As Jin qing's head flushed with fever and her body shivered with the chill, her mind was still awake.

Who poisoned her? Why did they poison her? How did they do it? When did they act? What poisoned her and what did they plan on achieving by doing so?

Xi Jian was wondering about that too, not sleeping at night and staying up, reading.
It was wartime, preparations must be made. It can either make or break a war.
He needed Jin Qing to help. Whenever they made decisions, he kept on wishing she was there to calm him down. Even if she didn't know it, she helped ease his mind. Her very presence tells him what they are doing will be alright.

They have acted as the Xue Xian would in her absence, calling in the retired generals from all over the country to prepare to wage war.
All night he sat up, reading on books of war and books of poisons.

"Your majesty, you should get some rest." A servant suggested.

"Not when I have work to do."

"Lady Huan Le told me to tell you the Xue Xian woke up for a few brief minutes, if that helps ease your mind."

"Is she alright?"

"The doctors has confirmed that she'll survive through the night."

Xi Jian took in a deep breath and exhaled. She'll be alright just for tonight.

Someone knocked on the door, and Xi Jian closed his eyes waved his hand to tell the servant to allow whomever was at the door in.

"Dear brother." Chun ting's sweet voice made Xi Jian open his eyes again.

"Chun ting, why aren't you asleep?"

"I should be asking you that." She smiled sweetly, and set down a small box as her maids set down a cup of tea. "You must have been working all night. Here, take a break."

"Thank you." He nodded, taking the tea and placing the tea to his mouth.

Chun ting looked over at the scrolls and the books that was thrown all over the table. She closed some and organized them so the surface would be nearer. "You're nervous about her, aren't you?"

Xi Jian didn't even need to ask who was she talking about. "Yes, I am."

"All the best doctors in the Wei is at her bedside, ready for anything. She'll be fine." She assured him. She looked at a map that she had picked up and studied it, and noticed the markings scribbled on them. "You're still going to look for Wu Xin?"

"Either dead or alive. I just want to rest knowing that the Song cannot get to her."

"What about the one Jin qing has suggested? The assassin named Yu Qi?"

"We'll look for her too. I trust in the Xue Xian's judgement."

Chun ting smiled and refilled her brother's teacup. "Hypocrite."

"Why do you say that?"

"Xue Xian said not to look for Wu Xin, saying how we won't be able to find her, but you continue to do so, yet you always claim you'll never defy her orders."

Xi Jian started at his sister with a surprised look on his face.

Chun ting smiled shyly and put down the teapot. "Well, that's all I noticed."