Chapter 9

The moon was overhead and the whole household asleep, but Jin qing woke up at a start.

Her throat suddenly tightened and weights rested on her chest, jolting her awake from her already light sleep.

She closed her eyes and tried to focus, grabbing the handkerchief next to her bed with pale and shaking hands and pressed her nose into the cloth, breathing in the sweet fragrance of blooming honeysuckle. She tried to relax her thumping heart by slowing down her breathing, though that did nothing for the weights on her chest.

Jin Qing knew she had to solve them one by one. So she waited for her heartbeat to slow to normal and then waited for throbbing in her temples to fade.

She looked up quickly to make sure her maids haven't woken up yet. They were sound asleep.

Jin qing tried to think about what would have caused what just happened.
She scanned her surroundings for anything that would have triggered it, but she saw nothing.

Its been happening more and more often lately... Jin qing thought to herself

The heaviness lifted from her chest and she was able to relax. The honeysuckle helped, but it was mostly up to her.

She laid back down, careful not to disturb her maids. They had enough on their plates already. They didn't need to know about this.

Jin qing closed her eyes and tried to fall back asleep.

Perhaps I'm just hungry. She thought.

<>

"Miss, miss wake up." Bai yan said.

Jin qing got up and rubbed her eyes. "Have they allowed you to leave the door yet?"

Bai yan nodded. "Yes. They have. Ye bing is going out to get some food."

Jin qing nodded, but Bai yan noticed the change in her miss' face color and the bags underneath her eyes.

"Miss. You need to stop worrying about the emperor. He's fine, and it's not your fault." she said. She looked around and noticed a distant look in her miss' eyes. "Cheer up miss! Word came from the palace. The emperor is out of danger!"

Jin qing looked up.  "Really? When did you hear of this news?" She asked. "Are you sure?"

"Yes! We've just received the news this morning, but he's still in a weakened state. But he is no longer in any danger of dying."

Jin qing breathed a sigh of relief. That's one of her worries being lifted from her chest.

"The first wife has organized a party for the rich nobles in celebration of the emperor's good health. Miss, are you going?"

"In such short notice? Goodness, she's too good at this kind of thing-- probably already had it planned but switched reasons this morning..." She let out a heavy sigh, standing up and gesturing for her maids to help her get ready. "It's not like I have a choice. Get my robes for me, will you?"

Taking her orders, her maids immediately set to work dressing their miss in a simple and light lavender robe that wouldn't burden her body with unnecessary weight. The jewelry was chosen with a similar purpose along with the extra intention of being simple enough to have their miss fade into the background.

It's not like it would have mattered anyway-- no one usually paid too much attention to her to care or even notice her fashion choices... and that was exactly how Jin qing wanted it to be.

<>

The rich noblemen and noblewomen came a little before noon for some socializing.

Jin qing didn't bother staying outside for too long. All she needed to do was show up and show her face for a few minutes before retreating to the study and read. It was public enough for people to walk in and find her, but private enough for her to spend some alone time.