T H R E E

I should've been used to the feeling of losing people, but losing Shiro hurt more than I could've ever imagined

When we first met, I had never expected how important he would be to me. He was just my mother's friend, a man I thought only took me in cause he thought he owed it to her.

But then he had spent weeks trying to get me to open up after her death, spending all his time with me to try to show I wasn't alone.

He was there when my father came back for me, supporting me when I had to see him to receive my sword. He cleaned me up after every fight I got into, held me after every nightmare and was there everytime I needed someone to show I wasn't alone.

He taught me things about myself no one else had, educated me on the blood that ran through my veins.

He kept me safe, protected me, and gave me a family.

And now he was gone.

The rain that fell around us seemed poetic to me really. It was as if even the heavens were crying for the man we had lost, the greatest man I had ever known.

My arm was tightly linked with Yukios for support as he held the umbrella over us both to protect us from the rain. I stopped to look over my shoulder, him stopping with me.

Rin was stood in front of Shiro's grave alone, his head hanging as the rain fell down onto him relentlessly. We hadn't spoken at all since I had awoken after what happened, but I knew he had awoken his demon side. I could see it.

Guilt clawed at my chest as I watched him. I had failed to protect him, to protect them all. This was all my fault.

"Let's give him some time." Yukio guided me away gently, pulling my with him softly as we began to walk away again.

I nodded slowly and allowed him to guide me back to the monastery, my mind foggy as I tried to work through my thoughts.

I knew I needed to protect Rin, now that he was a demon he would never be safe, there would always be someone after him. He would have to life his life constantly looking over his shoulder, and I just didn't know how I was going to keep him safe.

I was weak, useless.

I couldn't even last in a fight with Satan and because of that Shiro was dead. My father was dead.

I wanted to be strong. I needed to be, to be able to protect Rin and Yukio, but the truth was that all I was really good at in the end was getting people killed.

Gazing at the seats at the table as we walked past, I was struck by a memory from when I was younger.

"You're not always gonna be able to protect him Lia." Shiro smirked down at me as I angrily glared over at Rin who was being cleaned up by Yukio.