T W E L V E

"Hello my darling!" Mephisto greeted loudly from behind his desk as I walked into his office, his arms opening widely in a grand gesture

I had received a message just before cram school started saying I was excused from classes as the headmaster wanted to see me.

"Hey Mephisto. Why am I here?" I tilted my head curiously as I took a seat in front of his desk.

"Can't I just ask to see you?" He tilted his head like me in faux innocence as he started over at me.

I internally groaned, realising I was missing class for no good reason.

"I'm missing cram classes." I pointed out.

"Oh don't act like you don't already know everything you're learning." He dismissed carelessly, summoning a tea set in front of us on the desk with a grin. "I figured we could use some time to catch up."

"You already know everything going on in my life." I shrugged, slouching comfortably in the seat as I watched him prepare the tea.

I may have been acting annoyed but time alone with Mephisto was something I had been missing.

As much as he may get on my nerves, he was family. He used to take me out of school all the time in secret to spend time together, and Papa always got angry for it since I was missing classes, but he was understanding that Mephisto had been in my life longer than anyone and was someone I valued spending time with.

Tea was also a common activity for us, stemming from the tea parties we used to hold when I was a kid.

Memories of my childhood were mostly painful to look back on now without my mother here, but my memories with Mephisto were some of my most cherished.

"Not everything." He pointed out. "How are your classes, have you made many friends?" He asked as he handed over my cup of tea.

I took the warm mug into my hands, my cold fingers clinging to the outside in search of the heat it provided.

Lately I had found myself always being cold no matter what I did, but I wasn't too concerned. My body wasn't exactly a normal humans, I shouldn't be surprised when strange things happen.

"Cram school classes are easy, regular classes are going well and I'm enjoying them." I answered the first part of his question, pausing to see if he had anything he wanted to say about them.

"Yes, I've heard great things about you from all your teachers!" He grinned at me over the teacup. "Not that I'm surprised, you've always been a good learner."