Chapter 1

Those four words struck quick like a cobra with the venom just as deadly. “Love fades…mine has.” The beginning of tears stung my eyes as I made my way across the courtyard. I had no idea where my body was leading me. I ran into a man on his way to the coffee shop. I apologized “Sorry, I must not be paying attention to where I am going.” He grumbled something under his breath and carrying on his way.

I found myself outside of Lissa’s door not being able to catch my breath. As if she sensed me she opened the door. “I need to get the fuck out of here! I need to be far away from him as possible!” I gasped. The tightening in my chest was turning into a sharp pain. “Rose, who? - What are you talking about? Come in and sit down.” The look on her face said it all that she could see it written all over my face. I walked over to sit on the bed and with my head in my hands, I started to ball again.  Lissa came rushing to my side wrapping her arms around me trying to sooth me.  “Shh, it’s going to be alright, Rose. Just breathe.” She spoke so softly reaching for the tissue box on the night stand. I sniffled taking a tissue. “Will you tell me what this all about Rose?” Ask Lissa as I excused myself. I got up to go check myself in the bathroom mirror. Great puffy red eyes are so not attractive and neither is the snotty nose. 

I turned on the cold water and let it run a few minutes. “This is what a broken heart feels like,” I thought to myself as I went to splash the cool water on my face trying to wash the heat of pain my tears left behind. I guess Lissa decided to leave me alone to calm myself because she never interrupted me. I repeated the splashing until I felt my face cool back down to normal. The tightening was still there but somehow the sharp pain had dulled. I quickly pulled my long thick hair into a high messy bun. I took a deep breath to prepare myself to re-tell the events to Lissa.

After retelling the whole event down to me running into the man, Lissa stared at me I could feel her emotions of sympathy, love and protection radiating through the bond. It did ease the pain quite a bit so I could think clearly. The thing I asked next would be a lot but I just had to get away. “Lissa, I need to get away from here, away from Dimitri. I mean just for a while to clear my head. I don’t know where to go or how I am going to pay for it, but I cannot see him at all especially after what he said, it will be like stabbing me all over again! Will you please help Lis?” I pleaded. She looked at me with glossy eyes almost in shock. I could sense she didn’t want me to leave her. She grabbed her laptop off the night stand and began typing. “What are you doing Lis?” “I am getting you out here, we are going to Bora Bora” she turned the laptop around showing me pictures of this resort that had little huts over the bluest water I have ever seen.

Within three hours we were packed and heading towards the royal jet. Lissa had convinced the queen to let us go on a week vacation as a graduation gift. The agreement was to bring four guards with us instead of two for more protection. Lissa’s only request was that Dimitri stay behind and the Queen accepted that reasonable. Christian was waiting for Lissa at the stairs with his suitcase. “Of course he would be coming” I sighed “Hey I know you are going to want time to yourself and I will get lonely. So chill out and be nice!” Lissa snapped back. I smiled and quietly made my way up the stairs and was greeted by the flight attendant. She had a bright smile that was lined with red lipstick, her name tag said Sophia. She took my drink order which I wished I could get something stronger then coke that is for sure. I would settle on something sugary and fizzy. I made my way to my seat which I took the window and threw my bag down in the one next to me. Once everyone one was on board and settle we began making our way down the runway to take off.

I just looked out the window watching the royal court get smaller and smaller until it was a speck. Sighing as some pressure started to leave my chest only to return when I thought about his hair and the way that one piece would fall out of his ponytail. I was thankful I brought my IPod maybe I could drown the thoughts with music and possibly sleep some of this over twelve hour flight. As I put the ear buds in I could see Christian going on about stuff dealing with spirit but Lissa was staring at me so I dropped those walls that closed her off “Are you okay? Do you want me to sit with you?” I could hear it as if she had spoken right next to me. I just shook my head as I just wanted to be left alone right now. I found the shuffle button **Sleep by Conjure One*** poured through the ear buds as I turned to huddle against the window. I pulled my hoodie over my bare knees not realizing I was cold. The shorts I chose to wear may have not been such a good idea when flying, I noted to myself. I watch out the window until my eyes became too heavy to fight sleep anymore somewhere over the Midwest.