Chapter 3

Chapter 3

We were traveling to the St. Regis Resort by a shuttle boat. The hues of orange, red and purples were reflecting off the crystal clear turquoise blue water that was darkening as the sun was setting. The scene was breath taking. Christian and Lissa were sitting close together smiling and taking in the view. Her golden hair was whipping in the wind and the look she was giving Christian was of pure love. For them this was a romantic getaway and they were going to make the most of it. For me it was an escape from reality. An escape from Dimitri the man I loved who shattered my heart into a million pieces. "This is going to be real fun" I shouted over to Lissa and Christian. I tried to make the smile across my lips seem real, when all I wanted to do is curl up in a ball and cry. No, I had to keep it together until I was in a dark closed off room from everyone else. Since the legal drinking age in Bora Bora is eighteen, I was planning on drinking my sorrows away once we reached the dock.

Once we arrived, a bellman showed us to our villas. To my surprise I had my very own villa overlooking the beautiful lagoon. I did a quick tour looking through the whole villa. I roamed from room to room the décor screamed relaxation. The walls were made out of bamboo colored wood panels. The furniture looked modern but comfy. I was in awe of the glass floor panels they put in the floors in random areas of the villa. "Maybe I can see some fish" I thought to myself. When I got to the bathroom the tub alone stopped me dead in my tracks. The huge garden tub was big enough for two people. I wouldn't let myself cry not now anyways. "Definitely soaking in that later" I noted to myself. I opted to take a quick shower before meeting Lis and Christian for dinner.

Rummaging through my suit case, trying to find something nice to wear. Thank god I brought a couple of dresses with me. My choices were red, navy or black. I chose the black dress. It was black with turquoise flowers. Sleeveless and hugging my breast met an empire waist that flowed all the way to my ankles. I twirled my hair in a messy bun and threw on a necklace. Grabbed my purse and was out of the door. I was met by Thomas one of the assigned guards to Lissa. "Whoa there buddy, way to give someone a heart attack!""Sorry Rose, Just wanted to let you know that we are set up in the villa next you and will be taking alternate shifts." "Thanks for keeping me informed. So you're taking the first shift?" "Yes Ma'am I am. Shall we go get the love birds?" he replied in his sweet southern accent. "Well I guess we shall, sir"

We met Lissa and Christian as they were exiting their villa. They were so cute I wanted to puke, but I bit my tongue and smiled. There was no reason I should rain on their parade. As we walked to the Lagoon Restaurant, Lissa chose to walk next to me and Christian walked with Thomas. "Are you doing ok Rose?" Lissa spoke softly. "I am doing not so well but I am holding on I suppose despite my heart being shattered. Are you ok Lis?""I am so in love its not even funny, Christian gets me you know? I feel like we shouldn't talk about this, I mean with what happened to you. I don't want to feel like I am rubbing my happiness in your face.""You should be able to talk to me about these things. We're best friends and I can push those feelings aside. I mean it's not like I am going to feel this way forever." Or at least I hoped not. "Thanks Rose you're the best!" She said giving me a big hug.

The Lagoon restaurant looked melded into the scenery. The views of the crystal clear water and the mountain in the distance was absolutely breath taking. We took our seats and Thomas went to go over to the bar and observe from a distance. I only met him when we got on the plane, so I didn't know too much about him. If he wasn't good at his job then he wouldn't be here that is for sure. A waiter came by and took our drink orders. Since the legal drinking age in Bora Bora is eighteen, I decided to order something fruity and smothered in several varieties of alcohol. Christian and Lissa were trying to keep the mood light and fun. I laughed and ordered another drink with dinner. The warm breeze caressed down my back like a brush from a lover's hand. Feeling warm my vision was getting fuzzy just around the edges I decided to order my fourth drink. I didn't realize that it was getting late. The jet lag was setting in and all I wanted to do was go back to my spiffy villa. "Okay love birds, it's getting late I think I am going to head back to my piece of heaven for the night."I got up way to fast but I stayed in one spot to compose myself. "Rose are you sure you're going to make it back alright?"Christian asked trying not to laugh. "I will find my way; trust me I will always find my way." I grinned. I caught a glimpse of Thomas shaking his head. "What, like you have never been a little tipsy Thomas! Get over yourself!" I made my way towards the direction of my villa. I gazed up at the stars and listen to sounds of the night. I should be wide awake but the jet lag was kicking my ass. I made it to my villa finally and all I wanted to do was go take a bubble bath and be left alone.

I started the bath and as I carelessly walked over to grab my IPod I noticed my phone was blinking. I never checked if I would have signal since this place was so remote but I guess I was wrong. It was a text message from my mom where the hell are you? I threw my phone on the bed. "I am too tipsy to even get into this with you" I sighed out loud. I put the IPod in the home dock pushed play. M83's Midnight city started coming through the speakers as I started to sink into the hot bath. I just like a wave in the ocean my emotions washed over me and once I started crying I couldn't stop.

I stayed in the tub until the water went cold. Both my fingers and toes were pruned and when I went to wipe my face the little ridges hurt my eyes a little bit. I cried so much my eyes were strained and swollen. I decided it was time to finally get out and dry off. I left the music going to get all unpacked, but that was interrupted by a distant knock on the door. I put on one of the white terry robes that hung on the bathroom door. I made my way to the front door, it was Thomas. What the fuck did he want? "Just checking up on you. You seemed a little drunk back at dinner." "I am perfect I was just going to get some sleep. Jet lag is sinking in is all."I explained. I stared at him waiting him to say something else. "You see I am here in perfect health you may return to your duties.""Listen I know when someone has been crying. You are not the only one in the world who has ever been heartbroken. You want a piece of advice Rose?" "You don't know a damn thing about me nor what I have been through. Just go do your damn job and leave me the fuck alone." He had a shocked look on his face. "It doesn't last forever, the pain I mean."I laughed "What is it with you fucking guys? You lure girls like me then you go for the hammer to shatter everything. Get the fuck out of here!" I left him with that and slammed the door in his face. Angry, the stinging in my eyes came back as I head to the bedroom to unpack. I called room service for a bottle of wine and as soon as it arrived I poured myself a full glass. The wine, a sweet red moscato, tasted like peaches and cherries leaving a sweet taste in my mouth. I took a seat on the back deck looking out at the dark star filled sky. The painful memory of Dimitri and I making love the first and only time came to play in my mind. The thought of never being be able to touch him like that ever again made my heart sear with pain and the tears fell once more.