𝐱𝐢𝐯. 𝐰𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐧'𝐭 𝐤𝐞𝐞𝐩 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐬

( 𝘨𝘪𝘧: 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘳𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘦𝘴 𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭𝘪𝘯𝘨𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘫𝘦𝘴𝘴 )

The aftermath of the 24-hour dance marathon.

Jess Mariano wasn't entirely sure how to approach Cherry Doose. Guilt had nested inside him for the past night, tossing and turning under his sheets as his dreams were plagued with a certain curly-haired blonde. Her anger, her silence. 

He had been watching her from across the counter as he cleaned the same plate for the past ten minutes. Her eyes had remained on the book she had brought along, blue irises dancing over the printed words. Jess knew Cherry was aware of his presence from across the dinner. Her hands would grip tighter the spine of her book if he neared and her eyes would slightly flutter upwards if he opened his mouth. But the words he wanted to say remained stacked beneath his tongue.

Sorry for leaving her behind when he had made a commitment to her? Sorry for involving himself romantically with someone else? How could he ever say that? Someone like Cherry would never like someone like him, and Jess Mariano was a fool to ever think so. A damned fool that had gripped on hope for far too long that he could still taste the silver lies on his lips, like a wisp of something he wanted but had never experienced. 

So he opened his mouth again, in hope that words would somehow just miraculously form themselves. 

Cherry had been observing him this entire time, glancing in short-lived glimpses, awaiting. She wondered what his move would be, what he would say. She wasn't angry for his decision to follow Rory. Who was she to dictate what decisions he made? But she knew she felt a certain way about it, Cherry just couldn't place her finger on it. So instead, she waited for Jess to speak first. He could decide which direction the two were headed. 

But Cherry was merely a spectator. Rory had walked in, and like two deer caught in headlights, the two carefully dancing around each other.

"Hi."

"Hi." 

Luke had raised his eyebrows, overhearing the conversation, or lack thereof, between Rory and Jess. "Okay Jess, your turn to add another word."