Chapter 31- The Getaway

⚠️ Disclaimer⚠️
This chapter contains graphic scenes and language.
Reader discretion is advised.

~Damola~

It was around 3am in the morning. As I laid down next to Bunmi, I couldn't ignore it any longer!

My back hurt like a bitch. The pain.

The sweet sweet excruciating pain.

Something I've grown accustomed to. I used to dodge it, skirt around its edges, hoping to evade its unwelcome grip. But today, as it arrived unannounced, I decided to open the door and invite it in.

For the first time in my life, I enjoyed it. It felt better welcoming my pain than the torment of witnessing my beautiful wife in pain.

I knew of course that my back pain could not compare to what she was going through but it broke me seeing her like this; broken.

Her vulnerability awakened a sense of protectiveness I hadn't fully realized. The dried tear marks etched on her cheeks resembled battle scars, a testament to what she was going through. How unfair it seemed, that someone with a heart so pure could bear the weight of such profound sorrow.

I reflected on my own imperfections, the mistakes I've made, the moments I failed to be the best version of me for her. Yet, despite my shortcomings, I knew her goodness surpassed all my flaws. Bunmi was the embodiment of kindness, a lighthouse guiding lost souls in the tempest of life. She didn't deserve this anguish.

I hated seeing her like this, knowing there was no way to help her.

In the stillness of the night, amidst the echoes of her slumber, I lay still next to her thinking of a solution.

How could I make this better?,
What could I do to help her overcome this for no saint should bear the agony of a broken spirit.

Not up to a year ago, I vowed to always be there for her, help her through the hard times and that was exactly what I planned to do.

Starting with a trip!

The change of scenery would probably be a good idea for her. Ofcourse! It wouldn't erase everything but it would help her make new happy memories.

With that, I set out to work, the weight of my promise lingered as I planned the trip, meticulously crafting an escape from the mundane reality.

A change of scenery – a whisper of hope amidst the jarring despair. Bunmi deserved respite from the suffocating grip of sorrow, and I was determined to facilitate that.

Where would we go?

I could remember her telling me she really wanted to go to Tokyo not long ago. But she wanted to go to Paris and Sanorini-

And Italy....as well as Zanzibar too.

Okay! She said she wanted to go to a lot of places.

Wait! I have the answer!

I took out a piece of paper and cut it into four, then put two random destinations on each one and folded it before putting it in a jar.