Chapter 14- Surprise

The occurrence at the wedding was still trending even after two weeks which was long after Damola and Bunmi had moved into their brand new house at Ikoyi, Banana Island. It was everything Damola had dreamt of and more. The mansion stood there in all its glory and magnificence, For the architect had tended to Damola's wants so much that it seemed like the mansion had come out of an architectural magazine.

The house was situated on a 7.5 acre of land with a beautiful black gate with intricate designs that had 'The Akanbi Mansion' imprinted on it in gold. Once the gates open, a long driveway with vibrant green carpet grass on both sides comes to view which leads to a 'D' shaped parking lot in front of the house. A mighty fountain lay in the centre directly across the front door, surrounded by a bed of roses which everyone adored. The house itself was a fully furnished twelve bedroom duplex with full glass windows and automated doors. It had a swimming pool, an in-built gym, cinema room, a basketball and tennis court and a garage which was located underground. He had strongly emphasized that he wanted it to be big enough to house all his luxury cars and the architect had delivered.

Everything regarding the life of the business mogul seemed like a fairytale on the outside but inside was a different story. Damola's nightmares had gotten worse and it was affecting Bunmi's sleep too. He would abruptly wake up terrified in the middle of the night and his side of the bed would be soaked with blood and sweat.

Bunmi had tried persuading him to see a religious figure because it was clearly abnormal but each time, he adamantly refused. The noises at the hotel had also followed them to their new house and it was the reason behind the abrupt departure of his parents. The troubled man had begged them to stay but his mother was clearly not having it. She argued that his father was getting better as he could wriggle his toes now which slightly brought Damola some ease. So far, that and being married to the love of his life were the only thing stopping him from losing it.

Damola was seated on the three sitter in the upstairs parlor thinking about all the events that led up to this moment. He was considering going to the hospital or seeing a therapist because he was losing it mentally. Damola was interrupted from his train of thoughts by the sound of his ringtone going off.

"Manager of Del Loris Hotel and Suite Lekki branch," it read.

"Hello Mr. Ademola. How are you?, Is everything okay?," Damola asked.

"Good afternoon sir, unfortunately I bring some bad news. There is a fire at the hotel as we speak"

"What?!" he shrieked.

"How bad is it?"

"Sir, there is no need sugar coating it. It is very bad. The fire fighters have been at it for hours. It started from the fifth floor and escalated. So far three people were found dead and numerous people have sustained injuries while some are still missing."

"Is the press there already?"

"Sir with all due respect people died and you are asking about the press"

"I said is the press there!," he shouted this time.

"Yes sir," The manager said sounding ashamed.

"Okay settle them. Put everything under wraps. I am wiring forty million naira right now to your personal account. Make the incident disappear"

"Okay Sir. Will that be all?"

"Oh and I have a special gift for you when everything is ready," Damola said.

"Oh okay Sir. Have a nice day"

"You too," Damola replied before hanging up.

The manager was very giddy. He thought he was definitely getting a raise but unfortunately for him, no one felt the same way; especially not his boss. Damola knew that it was not the manager's fault but someone ought to take the fall and as fate would have it, the Manager was going to be the scape goat.