020. back to square one

CHAPTER TWENTY

CHAPTER TWENTY

𝐇𝐀𝐑𝐑𝐘 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐄𝐑𝐑𝐈𝐅𝐈𝐄𝐃. Practically on the verge of tears as his hands played with the coaster that was sat upon the slick wooden bar. This was his last chance, the final time to prove that Sadie wished to keep him in her life. He couldn't lose her, not now. He has to suck it up, tell her exactly how he feels in one swift movement; if he didn't do it now, you'd doubt he ever would test the opportunity again.

His foot tapped repeatedly on the floor, the rhythmic beats causing irritation to fellow men attending the bar for a night out. His eyes flickered to his phone every minutes, checking the time upon arrival. It's was 9:04. Four minutes after she had specified to arrive.

He worried she wouldn't turn up at all. Harry couldn't blame her unfortunately. If someone had crushed his heart the way he did to Sadie's, he doubts he would ever want to face the person again.

Time only went slower, the minutes inching away from them as it tested their outcome. 9:10, six-hundred seconds late. Or six-hundred seconds since she decided not to turn up.

Harry sighed, standing up from the stool and placing down a five pound notes for the two drinks he ordered: one for him and one for Sadie. He stomped his way through the bar, head hung low and heart dragged behind him.

He opened the main door in a hurry, desperate to get out of there in fear of humiliation and the idea of everyone watching him. That was when he walked straight into a figure, hearing the familiar yelp of the person he loved oh so dearest.

Sadie stood infront of him, herself still outside the door with the rain pelting onto her squinting face. Her raincoat was hugged close to her body, arms wrapped around herself and bare hands tucked underneath her armpits comfortably. She was shivering, the rain trickled it's way down her perfect face and dropped onto the concrete floor. Harry could only stare in awe, his sights on the girl being held back a few days; paying off majorly now.

The woman stared at him with sadness flooding her eyes, her mouth fallen agape and heart seeping further down her body. She missed him dearly, the words hitting her like a bus right now. Should she have done this? Does he miss her too? An over thinker, that's one way to describe Sadie.

She bit her quivering lip, "Hey." She smiled weakly. Harry upturned his brows, a small grin etched across his love-stricken face. "You came." He gasped. Watching her nod, he signalled her to walk ahead and followed suit.

Sadie shook off her coat and headed towards the seat they always took, the seats they had shared many of moment in; where Harry fell in love with her for the first time, where the entire idea of the bet came in. Where they had spent Harry's 24th birthday.