1.25

"Yeji, pop a squat!" Jinyong called out for me, signaling me to sit next to him in the empty audience

"Yeji, pop a squat!" Jinyong called out for me, signaling me to sit next to him in the empty audience. He was really trying to make my life miserable. I stood up and walked over to him, taking a seat.

It was the day of the auditions. Most of the students were backstage preparing. I had no intention of auditioning, so I entertained myself by playing Candy Crush on my phone. I was hoping for a free day, but I suppose not.

"What?" I groaned.

"This is the best part about theater, Auditions," Jinyoung exclaimed, with jazz hands in my face. I just rolled my eyes at him. "Fix the attitude. I need your assistance."

"Why do I have to watch auditions?" My expression dulled.

"Because, last time I checked, you were the student, and I was the teacher." Jinyoung's jaw clenched. "Which means you do what I say."

"How many performances do I have to see?"

"There are about 30 kids in the club, so all 30."

"I hate my life." I slammed my head against the table.

"All right, let's get started with the auditions!" Jinyoung screamed, startling me. Kai entered the stage. "Name and role?"

"My name is Kai, and I'm going to audition for the part of Romeo."

"Okay, start whenever you like." Jinyoung gave Kai a kind grin.

Kai motioned to Soobin, who was seated at the piano. Soobin has been playing the piano since he was a child and is supposed to assist everyone with their audition. Before taking the stage, Kai cleared his throat. He began singing one of the intro songs. He was performing so well and even had a dance to go with it. I expected these performances to be dull, but they were pretty entertaining.

"Kai, that was fantastic. You definitely wowed us with your charms." Jinyoung gave an innocent grin. "NEXT!" He roared, and I covered my ears. "Name and Role?"

"Yeonjun and I'm auditioning for Romeo."

I chuckled to myself. Let's see how talented this kid is.

"Okay, start anytime."

He started singing Mercy by Shawn Mendes, and I immediately frowned. I wanted him to be terrible, but he wasn't. He blew Kai's performance out of the water. Soobin played the piano flawlessly and kept up admirably. It seemed as though the two had practiced this together several times.

His high notes were equally as impressive as the rest of his performance. He was simply overflowing with emotion. Jinyoung's look told it all, with his smile covering half his face.

Yeonjun finished the song with a grin on his face. He already knew he'd gotten the part.

"Thank you very much, Yeonjun." Jinyoung cheered as Yeonjun exited the stage. Jinyoung smiled as he turned to face me. "Wasn't he incredible?"

"I think Kai was better."

"Still, it was amazing."

"His performance was okay, I guess. He wasn't Kai, though. Did you see Kai's performance?" I exaggerated. "He didn't just sing; he danced as well. Isn't dancing a big part of musicals?"

"Wow, Yeji, I had no idea you were so invested in this,"Jinyoung said, taken back a little.

"I was inspired by Kai's performance, which is why I believe he should play Romeo."

"We'll talk about it later." Jinyoung returned his attention to the stage. I just knew this wasn't up for discussion at all. I let out a big sigh.

"Next!" Jinyoung yelled, and Lia entered the stage. She took small steps to center stage and dropped her phone halfway.

I cringed, staring at my friend. "What are you doing, Lia?" I questioned.

"Auditioning for Juliet." She said, picking up her phone.

"I see that, but why?"

She shrugged. "What's the harm?"

"Please don't frighten our new performers, Yeji. Show us what you've got, Lia." Jinyoung raised a fist.

Lia closed her eyes and began running her fingers through her hair. She did this a lot when she was nervous. Soobin began to tap the keys on the piano. His smile from earlier faded and turned to disgust.

Suddenly, the words of Ariana Grande's 'Moonlight" poured out of Lia's mouth. That was one of Juliet's solos in the musical.

The first few notes rang out from Lia's mouth. Her voice was soft. I brought my hand up to my mouth to cover my shock. How could I not realize Lia was a talented singer? She sang amazingly, unlike the few times I had heard her sing. We would constantly groove out to some random tune in the car. I was speechless.

She suddenly messed up the song and mumbled a part of the second verse, but even her mumbling sounded beautiful. Eventually, the piano faded, and Lia finished the song. The whole room was silent.

I could see the worried expression on her face as she slowly opened her eyes. "Was it too much, or did I do something wrong?" She started to play with her hair more roughly as she noticed the silence in the room.

"That was beautiful, Lia." I smiled at her.

"But, I messed up the words. Should I try again?"

"No, it was amazing. I think we found our Juliet." Jinyoung sprang to his feet and began clapping. "Thank you!"

I couldn't help but smile like a proud mother.

Beat that, Yeonjun!

© -midzyspider

© -midzyspider