14. Opportunity

The familiar low gravely voice wakes you from your sleep. As you stretch out and open your eyes, you realize that Ren is nowhere in the room.

He sounds as if he's on the phone in a call. All you can make out is distant mumbles.

Quick yet quietly, you get up to sneak down the hallway for a closer listen.

"Do you NEED me to come down there today?" A silence sits in between his sentence as he waits for his caller to respond. "Right now? I mean that's not ideal, but I'll be there... see you then. Bye." He lowers the phone from his and sighs in an angry tone.

"Is everything ok?" He slightly jumps at your voice not knowing you were there.

He quickly smiles to change the mood. "Yeah, everything's fine. How much of that did you hear?"

"Just the ending, why?"

"Just wondering if you heard that I have to leave. I'm so sorry. They really need me."

Your body leans against the wall beside you. "May I ask who?"

"It's just a work thing."

"The school needs you back again?" You question since he was just there less than 24 hours ago.

He's frozen for a moment. Clearly unsure of how he should answer. "It's a smaller thing I do sometimes. A side job."

It almost seemed as if he was trying to convince himself that he was telling the truth.

"I'm really sorry that I have to go. I wasn't planning on it happening." He now stands just a few inches in front of you. Looking down upon your soul. 

His hand reaches up until it's resting on your waist. "Please look up at me." The tone he carries is soft but angry which almost forces you to obey.

You notice a different look in his eye. Something so dark. "Are you ok?"

"Yeah, I'm just pissed that I have to leave. I was hoping I could hang around a little more today. I hope you understand." He presses a kiss on your forehead.

"It's ok, I promise. Be safe please."

He grins and pulls you in for a long warm kiss. "I will be. I'll text or call you whenever I can."

Neither of you say goodbye. Your eyes said the words for you.

You close the door behind him as he walks out and heads back around to his place for his car.

The apartment was quiet in a cold type of way. He seemed so strange about having to leave. So secretive.

You decide to just shake off the feeling and finish up that essay since you have to hand it in tomorrow morning. Luckily, you only had a small portion left to do.

The relief of finally finishing your work came flushing over you as you wrote the last sentence down.

A big tiresome sigh leaves your breath. "Finally." You get up from your bed and set the essay flat on the dresser. 

For a moment, you just stand still. Feeling yourself letting out long breaths, lost in thought. Somehow it was the calmest you had been in weeks, but a noise from outside of your window quickly snaps you back into your previous state. 

A smile lights up on your face as the sound seems to be coming from Ren's window. In fact, the noise WAS coming from his place... but it wasn't him. 

A woman stands with her back to the window so you can't quite see her face, but she's definitely not familiar. Her clothing suggests that she's quite older than you; she seems closer to Ren's age. 

You flinch farther away from the glass pane as she turns around to see you watching from across the way. A small grin and wave is all she gives before leaving his bedroom into another part of the apartment. 

She definitely seemed to know her way around so you were certain it wasn't just some stranger. 

You stay glued to that spot as you await her return into his room, but she never steps back in. 

Your face travels through many different emotions as you try to piece together who she could have been. You can't recall him ever mentioning anyone you should know about. 

"Fuck." You mumble as your phone rings with a text from Ren that reads,

Sorry, I'm not sure when I'll be back. They need me here. I'll see you tomorrow morning before class. 

A small annoyed laugh falls out of your breath as you reply, I'll just walk to class tomorrow.

It's obvious that you want him to know that you're upset, especially after seeing some other woman in his home. 

The feeling you have stings, but it's more of an anger than a sadness so It's manageable. Just annoying to deal with. 

Who could she have been? There's no way he would have a secret relationship. That's not the kind of person he is, right? Right????

Your mind races with hundreds of small questions that slowly put you to sleep. 

He can't run from his secrets this time. He can't hide any longer.