014

5:44 pm

"Why is it you care so much? You're worried about what they're doing and you're worried about going off to college." Travis gestured as he spoke, looking as if it was ridiculous for me to think like that as he pulled his shirt over his torso.

"You want my honest answer?" I asked, softly petting my nails to make sure they were dry. They were good enough. Would've been better if Travis didn't attack me. Travis nodded and I sighed. "My father walked out on us two years ago and my mothers been struggling with it. I'm afraid she's going to snap and leave me to take care of Maggie."

Travis was obviously not prepared for that answer, his eyebrows slightly raised as he stared at me. After a moment, he nodded slowly and averted his eyes. "Sorry you have to worry about that, Lauren."

"Don't apologize. I know it's kind of ridiculous but you never know." I shrugged and looked back at my nails.

"Do you hate me after what I said about my parents?" Travis's eyes looked hopefully into mine and I felt put on the spot. I don't know why he would ask me that question.

"What? No. You don't have to love you're parents or anything." I let out a soft chuckle. "I get that you want freedom in college, just... don't take them for granted."

Travis nodded, looking over at the tv. There was a thick layer of awkward air between us and I didn't know how to break it. I caught sight of my arm, frowning at how worn off the drawing looked. I scooted towards Travis and laid my head on his lap, throwing my arm in the air so he could see it. He looked down at me and then at my arm, grabbing the pen on the little table next to the couch before grabbing my arm.

He gently dragged the pen along the faded lines, his eyes so intensely staring at my skin. The corner of my lips tugged upwards as I watched him go into artist mode. I closed my eyes, the feeling of him drawing on my arm coaching me to sleep. Everything was quiet, only the faint sound of the tv in the room. I liked this. Travis's presence was calming.