Chapter Two

It had happened suddenly.

    One minute, he was unconscious, Anya hovering over him, looking for any signs of life; the next, his eyes were open, and he sprang to his feet.

    Anya gasped, falling back to avoid being hit.

    Her eyes were wide as the man towered over her, his mouth a grim line, his chest rising and falling with each huffed breath.

    "Who are you?" he growled in a raspy voice.

Anya held her hands up, palms facing out in surrender. "You...you were unconscious, she spluttered. "On my fire escape. I just brought you in."

    "Who are you?" he repeated.

    "Anya," she cleared her throat. "Anya Flores."

    "Who knows that I'm here, Anya Flores?"

    "What? Nobody. It's just me...I live alone" Should she have said that? Probably not. "You were on my fire escape, you fell. You were unconscious....I didn't call Gotham P.D if that's what you're asking."

"And how do I know you didn't?"

    Anya rolled her eyes. "Oh, yeah. Let me go ahead and call Gotham P.D. Let them know I have the Batman passed out on a fire escape. Let me stop any real change from happening in this city." She stood up. "You're welcome by the way. For not calling them."

    Even standing he towered over her. She wondered how tall he was.

    She wondered who he was.

His eyes shifted to the first aid kit on the floor. Anya imagined this confirmed her story, because his next question was not as interrogative but rather, judgmental.

"Do you make a habit of bringing in men passed out on your fire escape?"

    "No. I usually only do it for the special ones dressed like giant bats."

His mouth twitched.

    "I couldn't do a thorough assessment because of your well," Anya gestured at his costume. "...but I suggest you make your way to your primary doctor if you have any aches and pains- you might need some x-rays...preferably when you're not dressed like a giant bat."

    "Will do." he paused. "Thanks."

    "It's my job. Don't worry."

    With that, it seemed Anya's strange night would be coming to an end.

As the Batman began unlatching the windows, she knew she had to ask:

    "Who knocked you out?" A pause. "I mean, I've seen videos of you before...fighting some really nasty guys, and you've held your own. Just wondering what could have, you know, knocked you off your feet."

    The Batman paused, back still to Anya, hands still on the window latches.

    "Don't worry about it." He ducked under the raised window.

Anya watched as he took a gun-like object from his tool belt. He pointed it up- a grappling hook.

    He gave her one last look.

    His lip had long since stopped bleeding. The cut leaving his bottom lip plump.

    Then, as quickly as he'd fallen, he was gone.

    Anya stared at the fire escape, much longer than she should have, then rushed to close the window, latched it, and drew the curtains once more.

    What a strange night, indeed.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Author's Note: The first two chapters were kinda short, because I wanted to test the waters a bit, but the next chapters will be longer. I hope you guys enjoyed it! Don't forget to add this story to your library so you can stay up to date with my uploads. So excited to write it!