Chapter Five

"Mr. Wayne, I didn't expect to see you here," Dr. Shorts's voice was filled with audible surprise.

Truly, Bruce had not expected to see himself at an occasion like this either. It had been a spur of the moment decision- impulsive.

Every year, Gotham University's School of Medicine held a banquet at the university's ballroom to celebrate the scholarships gifted to students by the corporate and philanthropist giants of Gotham City.

While Thomas Wayne had certainly been dragged through the mud the last year, the school was unwilling to part with their most generous scholarship donors (though the scholarship had been renamed The Wayne Scholarship), and as every year, Bruce had been invited.

He'd never gone. There had never been a true need to attend...but it seemed curiosity and intuition had got ahold of him.

He was curious to find her again, and his intuition told him she would be here.

Alfred had been quite pleased when Bruce asked him to RSVP for the occasion. He'd dug up one of Bruce's finer suits, a black Armani three piece and laid out a burgundy tie and pocket square.

"It excites me to see you taking a role in this community, Master Wayne, one that does not require you to beat the living daylights out of men in alleyways."

The sentiment had almost made Bruce snort.

Dr. Shorts was a balding man with russet colored skin, dark, almost black eyes, and a short white beard he kept neatly trimmed. He wore a gray suit paired with a white dress shirt and a salmon-colored tie and pocket square to match.

"I was invited," Bruce replied, simply.

"Yes, of course," Dr. Shorts let out a nervous chuckle. "But you don't seem to be a fan of these sort of things." Adding quickly, "From what I've been told, of course."

Bruce nodded. "I thought it would be nice to see what the Wayne Foundation's scholarship has provided."

"I can assure you the medical school is quite grateful for the scholarship, as are we at the hospital," Dr. Shorts added. "While many who receive the scholarship choose to leave Gotham for Metropolis or some far-off city, there are those who stay and pay their efforts forward...Dr. Flores is an excellent example."

"Will Dr. Flores be here, tonight?" A pause. "I am curious to ask her about the Wayne Foundations role in her schooling." Bruce added quickly, as to not seem too eager about the woman herself.

"Oh, yes. Dr. Flores remains an avid attendee of all of the School of Medicine's events. I am here, because I was invited, being the director of the hospital and all, but Dr. Flores is here because, well, everybody just likes her that much."

And as if on cue, Bruce saw her from the corner of his eye. She had to have just arrived. He'd arrived ten minutes before his conversation with Dr. Shorts, and he'd been scanning the room for her.

Her brown hair cascaded around her face in curls, ending just below her chest. She wore a black, knee length sheath dress with sleeves ending just below her elbows but above her wrists. Her mouth, a pretty shade of red, was stretched wide in a smile, her eyes crinkled, as she greeted people throughout the room, making small talks.

Bruce had not even noticed Dr. Shorts was speaking to him still. "...and that, Mr. Wayne, is why I think it is imperative that the hospital and the Wayne Foundation work together, diligently, to create change in Gotham's underprivileged neighborhoods. So... what do you think?"

Bruce opened his mouth to respond when she began her approach.

He unconsciously straightened.

"Dr. Shorts," Anya greeted. "Sorry I'm late. The train was a nightmare."