Chapter Ten

"These things are killing me," Anya complained, squeezing her eyes shut.

She was alone in the hospital's elevator, her only company the man in her ear. She looked down at her sweaty palms, rubbing them against the fabric of her scrubs. 

"Stop," The Batman ordered in her ear. "You look nervous."

I am nervous," Anya snapped back. "It's not every day you're asked to be a spy. I've had no proper training."

The doors to the elevator opened up. It was one in the afternoon, and Anya wasn't scheduled till 2:30. She'd decided it was best to come in a bit early to do her investigation.

Upon the elevators opening, Anya was met with an unsightly scene. Glass everywhere, papers strewn about, and yellow tape marked "caution."

Wind blew in from a large, shattered glass wall pane. There was caution tape and a barrier between the rest of the lobby and it.

"Dr. Flores," Anya heard immediately upon setting foot in the lobby. "What are you doing here?"

Anya did not have to feign shock, she was shocked. She did, however, have to scramble to come up with any possible reason for her uninvited visit. 

Anya turned to the woman in front of her, Dr. Valdes was one of the hospital's board members. Her office was only a few doors down from Dr. Shorts's. 

"I've come to speak to Dr. Shorts," Anya explained. "We are working on the Wayne Foundation proposal together. I'm not sure if he told you about it."

Anya hoped Dr. Shorts had bragged about getting the socially reclusive Bruce Wayne to participate in hospital funding. Judging from Dr. Valdes's understanding nod, it appeared he had.

Dr. Valdes shook her head, looking across the lobby. "It's terrible. You mustn't tell anyone."

"Scout's honor," Anya promised. "But, may I ask, what happened?"

"Last night we were," She lowered her voice as if anyone else in the empty lobby would hear her. "Robbed. They completely pillaged everything. My personal computer? Gone. Files thrown everywhere and some taken. So bizarre. Crime scene investigation is done for, so the hospital has all of us surveying our losses to report to insurance."

"Ask what type of files," the voice in her ear demanded.

"What type of files were taken?" Anya asked, adding quickly: "Out of curiosity."

"Your guess is as good as mine." Dr. Valdes shrugged. "My office was ransacked, but all my files are there. So are Dr. Evans and Dr. Wilson's. Seems like Dr. Shorts and Dr. Espinoza are the only ones missing anything." 

A phone rang then. Dr. Valdes reached into her pocked, excusing herself, and wondered across the lobby into her office, closing the door behind her.

"So, what do I do now?" Anya muttered under her breath.

"Who's Dr. Espinoza?" The Batman asked.

"He's head of genetic testing." She looked down at her watch. "I should get going. He's not here."

"No. Go to Dr. Espinoza's office. Now."

"I'm not.... what if they find me in it?" It was ludicrous. How could she possibly explain being in another department head's office? 

"Now." Then. "Please."

***

Bruce could hear Anya's panicked breaths as she crossed under the Caution tape. 

"I can't believe I'm doing this," she whispered, more to herself than him.

"You'll be fine." He assured. 

Anya made her way to the office furthest from the elevator. She twisted the doorknob open to reveal a space seemingly unoccupied. If it weren't for the shattered frame on the floor, displaying a bald man, his wife, and a teenage son, Bruce would have thought this was a spare office space. 

The desk's drawers were pulled open but there were no contents. The bookshelves lining the wall were empty. 

"No clues here," Anya said, stepping further into the room.

"What did you say Dr. Espinoza does?"

"He's in charge of genetic testing. He works with the lab mainly. He was one of my professors in med school. Kinda weird."

"Weird how?" Bruce pressed.

"Just weird. Took special interest in his female students if you know what I mean."

Just as Bruce was about to respond, he heard the doorknob twisting.

***

Anya turned her attention from the office to the door as Dr. Espinoza walked in. 

He paused upon entering. 

"Ms. Flores," the man blinked. "What are you doing here?"

Anya felt a lump in her throat, her mind racing to come up with an excuse. 

"I was, um, just..."

"Just?" Dr. Espinoza pressed. "Do you ignore every caution sign you see, Ms. Flores, or is this a special occasion?"

Anya felt her cheeks heating up. "No, sir. I-"

"You were just leaving," Dr. Espinoza snapped. 

Anya shut her mouth, nodding. "Yes, sir. Sorry, sir."

She hurried out of the office, past the ransacked secretary desk, all the way to the elevator.

It felt like a millennium before the elevator doors opened, and she didn't relax till they closed, and she was alone.

"That was mortifying." She moaned. "I can't believe that just happened. What if he tells someone I was snooping around?"

"It won't matter. You were working when the robbery happened. They'll chalk it up to you being curious, I'll make sure of it."

Anya didn't ask how he'd make sure of it, but she was sure he would.

"Is that it? Is that all you need from me?"

"Dr. Espinoza is.... pretty suspicious."

"I think he's just naturally an asshole, really." Anya disagreed. "I was a research assistant for a semester back in med school. He was a nightmare then too."

"What type of research?"

"Genetics. Good genes, bad genes. How we can improve the human race through genetic coding. Questionably morally ethical if you ask me."

"Hmm. How's that going for him?"

Anya rolled her eyes. "Not very good. Super underfunded. Probably why he's such a nightmare of a person. Can I take these out now? Unless you want to see me assist in a liver transplant that is."

"I'd rather not."

Anya smirked. "Thought not."

_________________________________________________

Author's Note: Third chapter in three days, I'm on a roll! Can you guys believe it's almost time for finals? Unbelievable. I have a lot of chem to catch up with, and I just made my schedule for next school year: literally all science. I'm taking organic chemistry and physics at the same time- prayers for me. I don't know when my next upload will be but probably tomorrow or Sunday. As always, add this story to your library, comment your thoughts, and heart this chapter. Happy Reading. - C