Chapter Four

"Looking for anything in particular?"

Bruce shook his head.

Alfred set a cup beside him.

Bruce took a sip.

He had never been particularly fond of the drink, but Alfred insisted it was a much healthier alternative to his coffee-based caffeine dependency. 

On the monitor screen, Bruce was forwarding footage, searching.

He had been pretty busy the night in question.

He'd archived the footage, however, not for the woman who'd helped him but for the fight that had taken place before. 

"Gotcha." he murmured, pausing on a freeze frame of a woman.

"She's quite pretty," Alfred commented.

Bruce grunted in response.

Anya was looking up at the Batman, eyes wide with surprise, mouth agape. 

He pressed the "print" button on his keyboard. 

"Who is she?" Alfred asked.

"Nobody."

***

Anya hated working evening shifts.

While it guaranteed she could sleep in before work, it meant she would have to walk to the train station, then to her apartment, alone: late at night.

She clutched her pepper spray in one hand, the other holding her tote bag close. 

Gotham General was in a nicer part of town, therefore, the walk to the train station was lit with streetlights and wasn't much of a worry. 

However, despite being a doctor, Anya still lived in a "rougher" part of town. She was a resident, not an attending, and therefore, her pay was barely above that of a two-parent lower middle-class income in Gotham. She still lived in the apartment she'd had during her broke college student days.

She was at the train station before she knew it. 

It was rather empty tonight. She looked at her watch.

3:05 a.m. 

The train car was close to empty, with only a group of three men at the back of the train car for company. 

Anya made her way to the front of the car, pulling a book from her tote bag.

The train had barely lurched out of the station when she heard it.

"Hey, you." 

She didn't look up.

"Hello, nurse." 

No response.

"Hey, I'm talkin' to you, lady."

Still, nothing.

"Fucking bitch."

She didn't engage. 

She knew if she so much as looked at them, or acknowledged them in any way, they'd never leave her alone.

The half hour train ride could not have felt longer. She had tried to focus on her book, but she was just too aware of the men's whispering. 

When the train pulled into the station, she hurried out of the car, then the train station, onto the streets of Gotham.

She had been walking for at least three minutes, when she felt it.

The undeniable feeling of being followed.... of being hunted.